- Common Name(s)
- Chocolate gourami
- Scientific Name
- Sphaerichthys osphromenoides
- Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore
- Peaceful, timid with larger fish
- Maximum Size
- 2.3 inches
- Minimum Tank Size
- 20 gallon high
- Tank Setup
- Slow moving water, well planted, with dim lighting
- Tank Region
- May only eat live foods at first, unless weaned onto dry foods in time.
- Maternal mouthbrooder
- Other small, peaceful fish. No hyperactive fish like zebra danios. Kuhli loaches or rasboras make good tankmates
- Ease of Keeping
- Intermediate to Difficult, depending if it is wild-caught or tank-raised. Tank-raised are easier.
- pH: If wild-caught, 4-6, if tank-raised, it can be kept in higher pH. Temperature: 75-83 Fahrenheit
By en:User:Tsunamicarlos - en: Image:47b4dd11b3127cce9bd219eb88b300000016108MbsmbRu0I.jpg, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1089082
By Brian Gratwicke - Flickr: chocolate gourami, Sphaerichthys osphromenoides,, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=16884043
Should be kept in groups of 6 or more, like cichlids, they will create a hierarchy in their group.
Males have a pointier head shape than females.