- Common Name(s)
- Common hatchetfish, silver hatchetfish, river hatchetfish
- Scientific Name
- Gasteropelecus sternicla
- Peru, Brazil, Venezuela, Guyana, French Guiana,
- Maximum Size
- 1.5 inches
- Minimum Tank Size
- 15/20 gallon (24 x 12 in footprint)
- Tank Setup
- Looks best in a planted tank with a dark substrate. Needs a tight fitting lid as they will jump out of the tank if given the chance.
- Tank Region
- Insectivore. Will eat dried foods but try to feed live foods like mosquito larvae or bloodworms.
- With other small temp-compatible community fish
- Ease of Keeping
- pH: 6-8; Temperature: 68-82 Fahrenheit
By opencage - http://opencage.info/pics.e/large_19683.asp, CC BY-SA 2.5, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=38753845
By Neale Monks at the English language Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1997497
A schooling fish, so should be kept in groups of 6+ of their own species.
Males are slimmer than females.