- Common Name(s)
- Costello tetra, January tetra, green neon tetra
- Scientific Name
- Hemigrammus hyanuary
- Amazon river basin
- Maximum Size
- 1.8 inches
- Minimum Tank Size
- 15/20 gallon with minimum base dimensions of 24 x 12
- Tank Setup
- Looks best in a planted tank with a dark substrate and background.
- Tank Region
- Unfussy eater, will take most foods.
- Egg-scatterer, doesn't take care of it's young.
- With peaceful, temp-compatible community fish that are not too active so as to outcompete them.
- Ease of Keeping
- pH: Doesn't matter; Temperature: 73-80 Fahrenheit
By Thomnight (Thomnight) - self-made, eigenes Werk, CC BY-SA 2.0 de, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=2637808
A schooling fish, so should be kept in groups of 6+ of their own species.
Males are smaller and slimmer than females. Males also have a small hook on their anal fin.
They are also known as the green neon, which is also what Paracheirodon simulans is known as.