- Common Name(s)
- Emperor tetra
- Scientific Name
- Nematobrycon palmeri
- Colombia, South America
- Maximum Size
- 2 inches
- Minimum Tank Size
- 20 gallon long
- Tank Setup
- Looks best in a planted tank with a dark substrate and background.
- Tank Region
- Omnivore. Will take dry foods, but supplement with mosquito larvae and other live foods.
- Egg-scatterer, will eat their young or eggs.
- With other temp-compatible community fish
- Ease of Keeping
- pH: Doesn't matter; Temperature: 75-82 Fahrenheit
Female emperor tetra
By Sitron - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7614304
Male emperor tetra
CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=264747
A schooling fish, so should be kept in groups of 6+ of their own species.
Males have blue eyes, females have green. Males are also larger and more colorful with longer fins.