- Common Name(s)
- Featherfin tetra, one-line tetra, crystal tetra
- Scientific Name
- Hemigrammus unilineatus
- Venezuela, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, Trinidad and Tobago, Peru, and Brazil.
- Maximum Size
- 2 inches
- Minimum Tank Size
- 15/20 gallon with minimum base dimensions of 24 x 12
- Tank Setup
- Looks best in a planted tank with a dark substrate and background.
- Tank Region
- Unfussy eater, will take most foods.
- Egg-scatterer, showing no parental care.
- With other temp-compatible community fish
- Ease of Keeping
- Fairly easy
- pH: Doesn't matter; Temperature: 74-82 Fahrenheit
Door Carl H. Eigenmann, 1912 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/internetarchivebookimages/tags/bookidfreshwaterfishes00eige, Public domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=46416992
A schooling fish, so should be kept in groups of 6+ of their own species.
Can be sexed by viewing its swim bladder, which is rounded in females and pointed in males.
It is an uncommon species in the hobby.