- Common Name(s)
- Flameback bleeding heart tetra, redback bleeding heart tetra, bleeding heart tetra
- Scientific Name
- Hyphessobrycon pyrrhonotus
- Rio Negro system in Brazil
- Maximum Size
- 1.8 inches
- Minimum Tank Size
- 20 gallon long
- Tank Setup
- Nothing in particular, but its colors will be stronger in a more heavily planted with a dark substrate and background.
- Tank Region
- Omnivore. Will take dry foods, but supplement with mosquito larvae and other live foods. They also are known to eat fruit.
- Egg-scatterer, showing no parental care.
- With other temp-compatible community fish
- Ease of Keeping
- pH: Doesn't matter; Temperature: 75-83 Fahrenheit
By Thomnight (Thomnight) - self-made, eigenes Werk, CC BY-SA 2.0 de, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=2637864
A schooling fish, so should be kept in groups of 6+ of their own species.
Males are larger and more colorful than females.
The smallest of the three species known as bleeding heart tetra.