- Common Name(s)
- Beacon tetra, head-and-tail light tetra
- Scientific Name
- Hemigrammus ocellifer
- Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, Peru, and Brazil
- Maximum Size
- 2 inches
- Minimum Tank Size
- 15/20 gallon with minimum base dimensions of 24 x 12
- Tank Setup
- Looks best in a planted tank with a dark substrate and background.
- Tank Region
- Unfussy eater, will take most foods.
- Egg-scatterer. Doesn't take care of its young.
- With other temp-compatible community fish
- Ease of Keeping
- pH: Doesn't matter; Temperature: 75-82 Fahrenheit
By Deadlyballistics at English Wikipedia - Transferred from en.wikipedia to Commons by Sreejithk2000 using CommonsHelper., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=10564629
A schooling fish, so should be kept in groups of 6+ of their own species.
Females are larger and rounder-bodied than males.
Females also have a rounder swim bladder, which can be seen through its skin.