- Common Name(s)
- Orange chromide
- Scientific Name
- Pseudetroplus maculatus
- India and Sri Lanka
- Maximum Size
- 4 inches
- Minimum Tank Size
- 55 gallon
- Tank Setup
- Needs hard or brackish water, cannot survive in acidic conditions.
- Tank Region
- Should be fed foods with Spirulina, mainly. Can be fed dried foods but should be fed live foods as a supplement.
- Bi-parental substrate spawner.
- With other community fish that are not very aggressive or territorial, unless the tank is very large.
- Ease of Keeping
- pH: 7-8.5; Temperature: 68-83 Fahrenheit
By Raghu.kuttan - Own work, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5244181
It used to be known as Etroplus maculatus but has been moved to its own genus.
Very hard to sex. There's a lot of conflicting information.
It should be kept in groups of 6 or more as it is gregarious, and if it is kept in lower numbers, weaker individuals will be bullied by the dominant ones, or the group may behave nervously.