- Common Name(s)
- Oscar, tiger oscar, velvet cichlid, marble cichlid
- Scientific Name
- Astronotus ocellatus
- Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Brazil, French Guiana, Paraguay, Uruguay, and Argentina
- Predatory, not very aggressive when kept in the right size tank with similar sized fish.
- Maximum Size
- 15 inches
- Minimum Tank Size
- 120 gallon (48 inches x 24 inches x 24 inches)
- Tank Setup
- Nothing in particular
- Tank Region
- Omnivore, unfussy about what it eats. Should be fed high protein foods. Live foods are very good for them as well.
- Substrate spawner.
- With other similar sized fish that aren't too aggressive, in the right sized tank.
- Ease of Keeping
- pH: Doesn't matter; Temperature: 68-83 Fahrenheit
By Ashish Ghosh - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=18908962
Hard to sex. Females show their ovipositor prior to spawning.
Don't feed them feeder fish from the store, which are often sick, and can infect your oscar. I would suggest raising livebearer fry to feed them instead.
There are many variants, including long-finned, albinos, red-colored, tiger, etc.