- Common Name(s)
- Pretty tetra, Garnet tetra, Black wedge tetra
- Scientific Name
- Hemigrammus pulcher
- Upper Amazon river basin in Peru
- Maximum Size
- 1.8 inches
- Minimum Tank Size
- 15/20 gallon with minimum base dimensions of 24 x 12
- Tank Setup
- Nothing in particular, but looks best in a planted tank with a dark substrate and background.
- Tank Region
- Unfussy eater, will take most foods.
- Egg-scatterer. Doesn't take care of its young.
- With other temp-compatible community fish
- Ease of Keeping
- pH: Doesn't matter; Temperature: 73-80 Fahrenheit
By Jofre - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=24507109
A schooling fish, so should be kept in groups of 6+ of their own species.
The swim bladder (visible through their translucent skin) is rounded in females, and is more pointed in males. Females are also larger and more rounder-bodied than males.
It's a very hardy species, good for beginners.