- Common Name(s)
- Ruby tetra
- Scientific Name
- Axelrodia riesei
- Rio Meta basin in Colombia
- Maximum Size
- 0.66 inches
- Minimum Tank Size
- 5 gallons
- Tank Setup
- Looks best in a planted tank with a dark substrate and background.
- Tank Region
- Omnivore. Will take dry foods, but supplement with mosquito larvae and other live foods.
- Egg-scatterer, doesn't take care of its young.
- With other small temp-compatible community fish
- Ease of Keeping
- Fairly easy
- pH: Doesn't matter; Temperature: 75-82 Fahrenheit
They are the smaller reddish fish in the back.
Here is a closer picture:
A schooling fish, so should be kept in groups of 6+ of their own species.
Males are more colorful and smaller than females, females are also more round-bodied than males.