- Common Name(s)
- Rummy-nose tetra, firehead tetra
- Scientific Name
- Hemigrammus rhodostomus
- Lower Amazon river basin and Orinoco river basin.
- Maximum Size
- 2 inches
- Minimum Tank Size
- 15/20 gallon with minimum base dimensions of 24 x 12
- Tank Setup
- Looks best in a planted tank with a dark substrate and background.
- Tank Region
- Omnivore. Will take dry foods, but supplement with mosquito larvae and other live foods.
- Egg-scatterer. Doesn't take care of its young.
- With other temp-compatible community fish
- Ease of Keeping
- Fairly easy
- pH: Doesn't matter; Temperature: 76-80 Fahrenheit
By Gavinevans - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=25353007
Here's how to tell the difference between the similar species:
A schooling fish, so should be kept in groups of 6+ of their own species.
Females have rounder bodies than males.