- Common Name(s)
- X-ray tetra, pristella tetra, goldfinch tetra
- Scientific Name
- Pristella maxillaris
- Amazon, Orinoco, and coastal river drainages of the Guianas.
- Maximum Size
- 2 inches
- Minimum Tank Size
- 15/20 gallon with minimum base dimensions of 24 x 12
- Tank Setup
- Nothing in particular
- Tank Region
- Will accept most foods.
- Easy to spawn but the fry are hard to raise.
- With other temp-compatible community fish that are not too big
- Ease of Keeping
- pH: Doesn't matter; Temperature: 72-83 Fahrenheit
By Richard Bartz, Munich Makro Freak - Own work, CC BY-SA 2.5, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=2121085
Females are bigger and a little more rounder-bodied than males.
They're a schooling fish, so should be kept in groups of 6+ of their own species.