- Common Name(s)
- Zebra danio, Zebrafish
- Scientific Name
- Danio rerio
- Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Nepal and Myanmar
- Peaceful, except when not kept in a sufficient sized school
- Maximum Size
- 2 inches
- Minimum Tank Size
- 15/20 gallon with minimum base dimensions of 24 x 12
- Tank Setup
- Nothing in particular, does well in fast flowing water
- Tank Region
- Unfussy, will eat almost everything offered.
- Egg-scatterer. Doesn't show any parental care.
- With other temp-compatible community fish
- Ease of Keeping
- Very easy
- pH: Doesn't matter; Temperature: 65-75 Fahrenheit
By Azul - Own work, Copyrighted free use, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=260841
A schooling fish, so should be kept in groups of 6+ of their own species.
It is one of the hardiest fish in all of fishkeeping, so it's often used while cycling a tank. They have special regenerative abilities.
There are several colors of glofish that are zebra danios. There are also several strains, which are leopard, long-finned, or gold colored danios.
Females are larger and more rounder-bellied than males.