2 of my guppies got sucked into the filter :(

CarpCharacin

Cyprinus carpio
Administrator
Fish mentor
Ratings
I looked into my 20 gallon tank and I just realized that 2 of my guppies got sucked into the filter and both of them were dead. I am not sure if they were sick before they got sucked in. They were either guppies or mosquito fish. RIP :(

Scrotnig

Celestial pearl danio
Ratings
I was always told by the people who run the aquarium shop I use, that if a fish has got sucked onto the filter, it was almost certainly already dead when that happened. It wasn't the act of being sucked onto the filter that caused it.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Ratings
The possibility is, they die (or become really weak through illness or injury) elsewhere in the tank, and are then pulled into the filter like any other bit of debris.
If a fish gets sucked onto the filter, then they died before. If a fish gets sucked into the filter, then that could kill it.

Scrotnig

Celestial pearl danio
Ratings
If a fish gets sucked onto the filter, then they died before. If a fish gets sucked into the filter, then that could kill it.
That's true. I'm thinking more of 'onto' than 'into'. Certainly with mine, there's no way they could get sucked INTO it, as none of my fish are that tiny.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Ratings
That's true. I'm thinking more of 'onto' than 'into'. Certainly with mine, there's no way they could get sucked INTO it, as none of my fish are that tiny.
Into is always a possibility. I ran a HOB with no intake guard when I was a beginner... Never doing that again...

CarpCharacin

Cyprinus carpio
Administrator
Fish mentor
Ratings
I found another fish sucked on to the filter intake. Nothing appears to be physically wrong with them. It was the same tank that got cloudy. The algae in the tank has turned kind of a brownish color. I am going to add some safe. I still need to do a water change on it and the rest of my tanks.

Scrotnig

Celestial pearl danio
Ratings
I found another fish sucked on to the filter intake. Nothing appears to be physically wrong with them. It was the same tank that got cloudy. The algae in the tank has turned kind of a brownish color. I am going to add some safe. I still need to do a water change on it and the rest of my tanks.
I would be changing about 30% of that straight away, and then a further 10% every day for a week. See if that clears it.

Scrotnig

Celestial pearl danio
Ratings
Well I would proffer that the fish found on the filter had already died due to the poor water quality.

I'd further proffer that more fish are going to die unless you start the water changes.

Really Carp, you're purporting to run an fishkeeping forum which means you'd be expected to know something about the subject, or if you don't at least be prepared to listen. You need to change the water. You need to change it right now. Yet instead you're sat on TAZ arguing with people trying to give you advice. Get off your ??? and go and change the water! There's nothing more to be said.

Scrotnig

Celestial pearl danio
Ratings
I am going to water changes on the other tanks too.
Good...get to it then! Post back when it's all done. They don't take very long once you get started.

Thinking about it, I need to do mine today actually. I'll get to it as well. I have only one tank and the fish seem amazingly healthy considering I'm no expert and probably get a lot of stuff wrong. Two of my gouramies are now about six years old, which I'm quite impressed by, especially considering 18 months ago I moved house and completely changed to a brand new tank. They are remarkably resilient, I thought that would kill them off.

GTB

Neon tetra
Ratings
Same thing I told him over a week ago, but he ignored this advice and continues to throw chemicals in the aquarium. Go figure.
Could be high levels of ammonia or nitrites building up in tank because a water change is needed. No use keep adding chemicals in the water all the time. You need keep on top of those water changes all the time, and you should also be checking now and then if your filter media might need a bit of a rinse to get rid any decaying debris causing high level as well if using a mechanical internal type box, or external cylinder type filter.

Professor_fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
The best test for chemicals to add is this.......Would you drink it at the recommended amount in a glass of water? if you wont then dont add it ;). If you would then nothing we say is going to help you lol