Albino Tiger Oscar

Thread starter #1

Tian

Neon tetra
Ratings
I have 2 grown out Oscars,
The Albino and the Tiger Oscar. Along with them was a Blood Parrot and Texas Cichlid a Birchir and couple of cats

All of them got along for a good 4 years until the Albino suddenly started to attack the Tiger non stop! It got so bad that i was forced to take him out of the tank and rehome him with the Marbled gobby. (The gobby is only eating live fish like 6-8 inch goldies)

So shortly after i inserted him with gobby, they had a fight and sorted each other out.
But I am noticing that Mr Oscar is having a temper like never before.... Much of his personality
is still the same, like he is still like a little puppy when he sees you swimming up and down the tank wiggiling his body opening closing his mouth until i go stand infront of the tank and "rub" him through the glass.... He still begs for food when we are cooking... He also is still redecorating the tank the way he wants it to look.

But as soon as i enter the tank to work inside it, he will attack me.... He also are having a hard time accepting his Hikari pellets lately, he only wants live fish. (he never ate fish in the past, this started after he saw the gobby is getting fish)

So i don't really mind giving him a fishy or 2 also once or twice a week, but is it healty for the fellow to eat fish like that?

Protim Sarkar

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
Hi Tian !
I have a Tiger Oscar. He is a tricky guy.:)
It is better not to feed an Oscar live fish. Extra fats are always harmful for predatory fish. But if you plan to breed livebearers, then try those fry. Those tiny critters are not harmful for your Oscar.
I generally feed my Oscar- Flowerhorn's Humpy Head Fish Food and meanwhile blood worms thrice a week.

Thread starter #3

Tian

Neon tetra
Ratings
Hi!
Thanks @Protim Sarkar,
lol i then will work something out to keep him away when i feed that Gobby....

He is on Hikari Excel and Gold with Arowana sticks.... which he used to LOVE! But yeah, since he is with the gobby he is getting trickier to feed....

So you mentioned extra fats are harmful for predatory fish, i assume you mean the gobby as well? What can i feed him? He is almost 15 inches now.

Thread starter #5

Tian

Neon tetra
Ratings
He refuses the shrimps.... Blood worms he takes though i feed that daily except when he gets a fishy. When i feed fish, i leave him a day or 2 without food depends on how large the fish was.

But if i move him over to worms only, will he get all the nutrients he must get?

Thread starter #7

Tian

Neon tetra
Ratings
But how will i get him to eat pellets?
Sinking pellets i bet will be better option?

Good quality pellets like Hikaris sinking wafers or sinking carnivore?

Thread starter #9

Tian

Neon tetra
Ratings
Awesome......
So i will put a couple of pellets infront of him tonight and see if he will take it.... Its quite expensive getting fish all the time for him and quoratinening them and and and and....

The pellets i tried was Aquafin bottom feeder pellets. he took them and then he spits it out again! lol. About a year after i got him a lfs or two manged to get the Hikari Agencies, never thought of trying those pellets with him.

He is quite a awesome Gobby. When i work in the tank and remove his cave to vacuum there, i am able to pick him up and hold him in my hand without him trying to excape! But the Oscar do not like that and then he will come along and bite me or the gobbie.

Since this topic is about an Oscar, i was wondering how you can sex them? Do you know perhaps?

Protim Sarkar

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
Yes, I know about the Oscar gender. But, I ended up with 2 male oscars:p. During breeding season behind the anal fin a thorn shape object will appear. If the object is blunt, then it is female. And if it is pointed, then definetly male. Males are aggressive than the females. Lip locking rituals are also the signs of breeding.

Protim Sarkar

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
Actually in the wild they breed in rainy season. One of my friend tried by fooling the Oscars. He used spray bars over the aquarium water and changed the water every 2 days. Ultimately, the water temperature decreased, and they started to breed.:)