Angelfish

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting angelfish for my top 40 gallon breeder. I currently have electric blue haps in the tank, but I am going to move those to the 75 once I get done resealing it.

What kind and how many angelfish should I get for the 40 gallon once the electric blue haps are in the 75?

catsma_97504

Neon tetra
Reaction score
Do you want a community tank or just an angelfish tank? The general rule for adult angels is 20 gallon for the first and 10 gallon for each additional angel. And there is never anything good that comes from having 3 angels. So, you could have 2 angels with some dither fish or 4 angels. You could do a biotype tank with twigs, driftwood and rocks; or could do a planted tank, but would need to maintain plenty of swim space to avoid aggression from angels stressing from being too cramped.

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I want to do an angelfish only tank. I might leave one of my two plecos in the 40 and move the other into the 75 since they don't always get along. It is currently a bare bottom tank, but I am going to get some pool filter san for my 75 and I could get some extra for my 40.

Anders247

Congo tetra
Administrator
Forum Veteran
Reaction score
I'd just do a pair then. You can do a community, you know....

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
What additional fish can I add? I want to keep my rhino pleco in the top 40 with the angelfish and I plan to move my common pleco into the 75 since they don't get along.

Anders247

Congo tetra
Administrator
Forum Veteran
Reaction score
A school of 8 cardinal tetras and 8 sterbai cories....as well as a GBR.

catsma_97504

Neon tetra
Reaction score
There are many options for tankmates with angelfish. Most any of the smaller tetras, but not Neons as that is the angelfish's natural food in the wild and they will eat them...eventually. I like the Rummynose Tetras personally. Dwarf Rainbowfish, Cherry Barbs, Cories, Rams, Kribs (although once my kribs started breeding they started attacking my angels), etc.

As you are wanting to use a 40 gallon tank you need to be careful, especially with wanting to add a pleco.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I have 2 plecos in the 40 with the haps. I plan to move at least one of them into the 75 once I have the stand built. I like the idea of doing tetras with the angelfish.