Anyone find it challenging to do a water change with fry?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Roxane1232, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Roxane1232

Roxane1232 German blue ram Fish guru

So I did my regular water change tonight, and have been really careful to avoid siphoning up any baby fish, but it's been a bit challenging, since the little buggers, like to play by the siphon while I am vaccuming, along with trying to pick at my arm while holding the siphon. Any ideas on trying to keep them away from it? My other fish usually go on the opposite side of the tank, but not these little guys.

2. Anders247

Anders247 Bolivian ram Administrator Moderator Well-known Member

Yes, I have found that difficult in the past. To be honest, I've just avoided doing water changes with fry since.

3. Roxane1232

Roxane1232 German blue ram Fish guru

I might have to do that too, until I transfer them to my 10 gallon. They made me soo nervous with how daring they were being. Not to mention some of them are so tiny.

4. acaraguy2375

acaraguy2375 Neon tetra Member

Use a small diameter hose and don't suck up fry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

5. SilverFlame819

SilverFlame819 Neon tetra Member

This video shows an easier way to do it. That way you can control WHEN the siphon is sucking things up, so you can pause when the little brats dart in front of the siphon. If you're only doing water changes, and not necessarily cleaning out rocks or whatever, I've found putting some nylon or other tiny mesh material around the bottom of the siphon tube handy. Just use a rubber band to hold it over the tube. Then there aren't any accidents. :)