Want to Buy Apple snails

Discussion in 'Buy & Sell' started by CarpCharacin, Dec 26, 2017.

1. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Rainbow cichlid Administrator Fish mentor

My last apple snail just died, and I want to buy some more. Does anyone know of a place in Salt Lake that sells them?

2. SilverFlame819

SilverFlame819 Neon tetra Member

Apple snails (Canas) are illegal in the US. Do you mean a Diffusa/Briggs? I just got 10 new ones in 6 different colors. Should have a whole ton of babies by summer. You can get the blue and ivory Briggs at Petco if you want one now though. :)

3. CarpCharacin

I'm not sure what species I had before, but I don't think it was the illegal kind. I would ideally like to find some Mystery Snails (Pomacea bridgesii), they sometimes have them at PetSmart, but they are kind of expensive. How much are the snails at Petco?

4. SilverFlame819

You would know if you had Apples. They literally get to the size of a large apple. Like softball-size! They also LOVE greens, so if you have live plants, they would decimate them quickly. (And Apples only come in gold and green, or a mix thereof, AFAIK. Briggs are the only ones you can get in purple, magenta, blue, black, and ivory.) The term "Mystery snail" means that the store really doesn't have a clue what it is. It's kind of how they cover their asses if they've accidentally imported Apples, since when Apples are little, they look almost identical to Briggs. I think common consensus now is that most of what we see here as Mysteries are Diffusa, which are almost identical to Bridges, but Bridges are very rarely imported. Still, since everyone's gotten used to the term "Briggs" as a nickname for Bridgesii, I think when we say Briggs, everyone pretty much knows that we're meaning the smaller, more colorful relatives of the Cana snails, whether or not they're truly Bridges or Diffusa. (And really, if you're not a scientist with access to genetic testing, how would you know which one you TRULY had at this point, since their genetic markers are the only thing that sets them apart from each other?)

I can't recall exactly? But I bought my Nerites for 3 bucks a pop, and I seem to recall the Briggs being more expensive than Nerites. I just called down there to ask, and the guy I talked to was kind of clueless. He said they only carry black and golden, and they're $1.29. I was in there a few weeks ago, and they had Blues (and a sign for Blues on the tank!), and they cost more than a Nerite. Soooooo, in answer to your question, I have no idea. But he did say that the location in Sugarhouse currently has NO fish, as they're in the middle of a remodel, and getting all brand new tanks, which will be in by the end of the week. So don't go there, if you're looking for anything wet and finny (or... shelly?) :D

5. SilverFlame819

If you haven't found what you're looking for by the time mine start breeding, I could give you some. Mine are magenta, purple, blue, jade, golden, and ivory. So the babies could be any color, really, including black and chestnut.

6. CarpCharacin

I got the two snails I had from LiveFishDirect, and I was trying to find out the species by looking on their website, but they aren't listed. The snails at PetSmart are like $3 or $4, and they are a lot smaller than the two snails I got at LiveFishDirect for $5 each. I'll probably go to Petco once they have their new tanks in.

7. SilverFlame819

I tend to like getting the really tiny ones, because as the snails grow, if your water quality isn't pristine, they end up with lines of color in their shells that are darker or brownish, and the tip of the shell (the pointed corner at their shoulder, where the shell first began) is always crusty and falling apart if they didn't get good calcium. So I generally go for the little ones so I can raise them in really nice water, to have them as pretty as possible when they're adults. The ones I just bought online are teenagers though, so halfway grown, and not much I can do about their previous shell development now. :/

I haven't been to LFD in years. Is it still Mike (?) as the owner, and Josh (?) running the facility?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2018
  8. CarpCharacin

I thought that Josh was the owner, but I'm not sure.

9. CarpCharacin

I went to the Petco in Sugarhouse today, and their new tanks were in, but they had no fish or snails except bettas. The dollar per gallon sale is going on until February 3rd, so for 2 more days. I'm thinking about getting a 29 gallon tank for a female betta community, I have been wanting to start a female betta tank for a few months.

10. SilverFlame819

Sororities are addictive! I mean, what's one more fish?! :D I currently have 14 females. I'm picky, too. I only buy females who are a different color than the ones I already have. And they have to be a PRETTY color, not something really boring. Although I do have a female "King Betta". (Would that make her a Queen Betta? :D ) She's an odd color that isn't exciting, but I've never seen another one like her. Her body is a very dark OD Green (almost black), with blue shimmer to her scales, and her fins are a dullish yellow-green. She's sort of camo-colored. :D There is a possibility that I may be moving in the next few months. If so, I may have to downsize my number of tanks for a while. I'll keep you in mind if I decide the girls have to go. ;)

11. CarpCharacin

I ended up not getting a 29, but I have an empty 55 I could use, but I have some other projects I should probably finish first, like my 75 gallon and my 20 gallon planted tank. I also might be picking up a 180 gallon next week, so I kind of have my hands full :D.

12. SilverFlame819

That sounds like WAY too much to deal with. I'll trade you some Nerites for some of those empty tanks. Hahaha!

13. CarpCharacin

I went to Petco yesterday and they had black mystery snails, I think they were Briggs. I got 3 of them and I ended up getting a Nerite snail for free, since one was stuck on the shell of one of other snails. I put two of them on my 40 gallon goldfish tank, and I put the other one and the nerite in my 20 gallon.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  14. Anders247

Anders247 Bolivian ram Administrator Moderator Well-known Member

Zero gallon? lol

15. CarpCharacin

LOL, I meant 40 gallon. I edited my post.