Aqueon filter stopped working

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
When I moved my electric blue haps into the 75 gallon, I got a new AquaClear 110 filter going, but I also moved my cycled Aqueon QuietFlow 55/75 filter to the 75 from their old 40 gallon. It was working fine, but it just stopped working today. It's plugged in, but the pump just isn't going. I'm going to take out the pump tomorrow and look at it, but I just don't think Aqueon filters are as reliable as AquaClears.

Anders247

Congo tetra
Administrator
Forum Veteran
Reaction score
My Aqueon 55/75 has been good for me the last few years.

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I took out the impeller and cleaned it off and then put it back in, and the pump started working again.

Five 97

Neon tetra
Reaction score
Similar thing happened to one of my Aqueon 55/75s, I it left unoperating for a couple of weeks, and when I set it back up, it wouldn't turn on - turns out, something was creating a blockage in the impeller area.
Quietflows don't have the best design, but they're pretty tough.

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
It stopped working again today. At least in my experience, Aqueons aren't nearly as reliable as AquaClears.

Five 97

Neon tetra
Reaction score
Well, bummer! ACs are nice too, definitely gotta love the extra media space... and I kinda like that squarish look.

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I've never had an AquaClear fail on me, one time I had to take out the impeller and clean it on one of my AquaClears after a few years, but that was it, I never had any other problems. I recently just added a spare AquaClear 50 that was sitting for years to one of my 40 gallon tanks, and the pump still runs like new.

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I think the only flaw with AquaClear filters is the little plastic piece on the back of the filter that pushed up against the aquarium to keep the filter from tilting back too far, I feel like they aren't as secure as they should be. One time I had one fall out on one of my AquaClear 70s, and it caused the water to spill out the back of the filter onto the floor instead of out the front and into the tank.

Five 97

Neon tetra
Reaction score
It really is loose, I've had that happen as well, though with an AC 50, so the effect was less dramatic.