Best mechanical keyboard

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by CarpCharacin, Nov 24, 2017.

1. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio Administrator Fish mentor

I need a new mechanical keyboard, the keycaps are getting worn out on my Gigabyte Force K83, and it would be cheaper to just buy a new keyboard than to get a new set of keycaps. I'd like one with Cherry MX Blue switches. What is a good one that isn't too expensive?

2. Protim Sarkar

Protim Sarkar German blue ram Moderator Fish guru

Try Corsair, they are extremely good Mechanical Keyboard.

3. CarpCharacin

Thanks, I'll check them out. I kind of liked Logitech's G613 keyboard because it's wireless, but I went to a store and tried it and I decided that I hated the switches. They aren't clicky like Cherry MX Blue switches.

4. CarpCharacin

I looked, and the only keyboards they have with Cherry MX blue switches have red backlighting, and I don't really like red backlighting. I'm probably going to go with the Vortex Race 3.

5. Protim Sarkar

Good !:)

6. CarpCharacin

Lol now I'm thinking about building a mechanical keyboard. A few years ago I used to be really interested in keyboards, and I always wanted to build one.

7. Protim Sarkar

I found this article for building a mechanical keyboard-https://kotaku.com/how-to-build-your-own-keyboard-1797070430

8. CarpCharacin

I like the Clueboard keyboard kit they used in that article, so I signed up for the newsletter for when the next batch becomes available.

9. Theodore Stuck

Theodore Stuck Celestial pearl danio New member

Check out Razor brand it might cost you a bit more than the regular ones, but it will last for years.

10. CarpCharacin

I had one several years ago, but it stopped working after I spilled water on it :(. I also prefer Cherry MX Blue switches over Razer switches.

11. CarpCharacin

I decided that building a keyboard would be too expensive, and Massdrop had the Vortex Race 3 on sale for $130, so I ordered it.

12. CarpCharacin

It arrived a few days ago, but I just got it set up today, since I had to get a USB extension cable, because the one it came with wasn't long enough. It's going to take some getting used to, since it doesn't have a number pad, and it doesn't have the little bumps on the F and J keys.

13. Dennis Tracey

Dennis Tracey Celestial pearl danio New member

In the mid 1980’s Radio Shack sold the Model 100 portable computer, ran on batteries and had a 40 charter 4 line display. There was a guy who traveled around on a recumbent bicycle, with camping gear and his computer. Having to keep his hands on the steering, he came up with a way to type while riding. He installed 4 push button switches on each handle bar. He then could type his magazine articles in octal. Thought that was pretty neat...