Blue Rams

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
I was up at Petsmart finishing up my checklist for the tank and saw some gorgeous Blue Rams, but read online that Petsmart gets a lot of their stock overseas where they aren't raised in the best conditions, and that they get transported to much and acquire too many bacterial issues. So I don't dare buy fish from them, not to mention the Angels were also kept in tanks with Tiger Barbs. Has anybody seen any in of the private local stores?

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
I was up at Petsmart finishing up my checklist for the tank and saw some gorgeous Blue Rams, but read online that Petsmart gets a lot of their stock overseas where they aren't raised in the best conditions, and that they get transported to much and acquire too many bacterial issues. So I don't dare buy fish from them, not to mention the Angels were also kept in tanks with Tiger Barbs. Has anybody seen any in of the private local stores?
I also noticed they kept Male Gouramis together which is also a big no-no. Someone needs to give this company a lesson on fish care and compatibility.

Anders247

Congo tetra
Administrator
Forum Veteran
Reaction score
@CarpCharacin
I also noticed they kept Male Gouramis together which is also a big no-no. Someone needs to give this company a lesson on fish care and compatibility.
Actually that is fine, especially when they are only being sold. They;re not together forever. You can keep male gouramis together in a large enough tank, and if they are in large groups.

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
@CarpCharacin

Actually that is fine, especially when they are only being sold. They;re not together forever. You can keep male gouramis together in a large enough tank, and if they are in large groups.
Glad you told me, they seemed to not fight I just thought they might start getting territorial. Have you ever bought fish from Petsmart and had a good result.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I believe LiveFishDirect has Blue Rams. They mainly sell online, but they are open to the public on saturdays. They are located in Draper.

Anders247

Congo tetra
Administrator
Forum Veteran
Reaction score
To be honest, not really, but that is because I buy 95% of my fish from Petco. I do have a Petsmart but it's farther away and more poorly run.

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
I believe LiveFishDirect has Blue Rams. They mainly sell online, but they are open to the public on Saturdays. They are located in Draper.
Good to know I will definitely check them out.

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
To be honest, not really, but that is because I buy 95% of my fish from Petco. I do have a Petsmart but it's farther away and more poorly run.
I believe the one I was at was poorly run as well, mostly cause the fish didn't look to happy compared to a few other places I checked out although another one I checked looked okay. I also thought another Petco I checked out looked good plus there was one sales person who knew about the fish.

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
They are open on saturdays from 10 AM to 6 PM.
Cool will have to check them out , this seems to be what I do in my spare time I believe I have visited a fish store everyday for the last 2 weeks. I think I have an addiction.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I believe the one I was at was poorly run as well, mostly cause the fish didn't look to happy compared to a few other places I checked out although another one I checked looked okay. I also thought another Petco I checked out looked good plus there was one sales person who knew about the fish.
What petsmart did you go to? Was it the one by costco? That is the one I go to and the fish I have gotten there in the past have been healthy for the most part.
Cool will have to check them out , this seems to be what I do in my spare time I believe I have visited a fish store everyday for the last 2 weeks. I think I have an addiction.
You are not alone LOL

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
What petsmart did you go to? Was it the one by costco? That is the one I go to and the fish I have gotten there in the past have been healthy for the most part.

You are not alone LOL
Not only have I got myself addicted my 9 year old nephew wants his own tank, but I told him he'd have to start off on a 2-gallon tank and a beta to show me he can handle it. He wants a red tailed shark and a bumble bee catfish.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
Not only have I got myself addicted my 9 year old nephew wants his own tank, but I told him he'd have to start off on a 2-gallon tank and a beta to show me he can handle it. He wants a red tailed shark and a bumble bee catfish.
2.5 gallons is minimum for a betta, but it is easier to control the temperature with a 5 gallon tank.

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
2.5 gallons is minimum for a betta, but it is easier to control the temperature with a 5 gallon tank.
He doesn't realize that you can't just start off any fish I told him I would eventually upgrade him to a 5 or 10 gallon if he takes full responsibility for the beta, I want him to realize that taking on an aquarium is not just a part time job or something his parents have to take care of. Then in the meantime, he can help with my aquarium so he can learn the basics of taking care of a community aquarium.

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
He doesn't realize that you can't just start off any fish I told him I would eventually upgrade him to a 5 or 10 gallon if he takes full responsibility for the beta, I want him to realize that taking on an aquarium is not just a part time job or something his parents have to take care of. Then in the meantime, he can help with my aquarium so he can learn the basics of taking care of a community aquarium.
I think the aquarium Im going to get him is a 2.5-gallon aquarium.

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
I am just saying that a 5 gallon might be a better starting point for him than a 2.5.
You have a good point , the Beta would also be happier to which would make it a very positive experience, or do you think there is an easier fish to start him off with?

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
I think the betta is a good starting fish.
Plus I told him if he took care of the betta that he could add a few smaller fish to go with him, I am excited that he has so much interest in it .

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
Be careful adding other fish in with the betta. Bettas can be aggressive and a 5 gallon is probably too small for tank mates.

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Be careful adding other fish in with the betta. Bettas can be aggressive and a 5 gallon is probably too small for tank mates.
Yeah most likely will be upgrading him after he shows that he can handle a small aquarium, my theory is if he does well with his tank and learns while helping me out with mine he could possibly graduate to a 20 gallon.

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Yeah, a 20 gallon long is probably the minimum of you want to add tank mates.
I know he wants that red tailed shark and bumble bee catfish so if he wants that then he will have to get up to at least a 30. But I want him to learn how to care for easier fish for first and help me otherwise he will get frustrated and it won't be that fun for him I figure start him out simple and move up. I'm also going to let him pick a fish for my tank but I didn't want to start off with either of them at first either. Not to mention I heard bumble bee catfish get a little big at times.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
Just don't keep the betta with those. Especially the red tailed shark.

But I want him to learn how to care for easier fish for first and help me otherwise he will get frustrated and it won't be that fun for him I figure start him out simple and move up.
That sounds like a good plan!

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
I know he wants that red tailed shark and bumble bee catfish so if he wants that then he will have to get up to at least a 30. But I want him to learn how to care for easier fish for first and help me otherwise he will get frustrated and it won't be that fun for him I figure start him out simple and move up. I'm also going to let him pick a fish for my tank but I didn't want to start off with either of them at first either. Not to mention I heard bumble bee catfish get a little big at times.
Hopefully I'm
Red tail sharks need a 55g minimum.
I will tell him that's what he will eventually have to work up to. Have you had experience with them. I don't know much about them.

mbkemp

Neon tetra
Reaction score
Glad you told me, they seemed to not fight I just thought they might start getting territorial. Have you ever bought fish from Petsmart and had a good result.
Look for a guy named coralbandit on aquabid. He has great rams. Good breeder in New York

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Look for a guy named coralbandit on aquabid. He has great rams. Good breeder in New York

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks will check him out, they are one of the most stunning fish I have seen.

Anders247

Congo tetra
Administrator
Forum Veteran
Reaction score
Hopefully I'm

I will tell him that's what he will eventually have to work up to. Have you had experience with them. I don't know much about them.
I've kept rainbow sharks, their close relative. Red tails are supposed to be even more aggressive than rainbow sharks, but they aren't super aggressive. Just kind of territorial, which is why it's best to keep them in a 55.