Common Pleco stuff

LizStreithorst

Celestial pearl danio
Reaction score
I just read in the article here that they can live to be 20 years old. I have one that is almost 17. He's in the planted tank at the shop but he grew up with Discus and was a good boy. He never sucked on their sides. I've always wondered how long he might live.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
My common pleco sucked onto another smaller common pleco and killed it :(. That was a few years ago. Now he is in my top 40 gallon tank with my electric blue haps and a rhino pleco.

LizStreithorst

Celestial pearl danio
Reaction score
One of these days you will either have to buy a much larger tank or find him a new home. They get HUGE.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I am planning on getting a 125 for the electric blue haps. I will probably move him into the 125. I have had him for a few years, but he isn't super large because I had him in an unheated tank until a few months ago.

LizStreithorst

Celestial pearl danio
Reaction score
You have time...The commons are tough as nails, aren't they? Mine has moved from my old house, to a house in another State, to the LFS for safe keeping, back to my old house, then to my new house, and finally to the shop. He may have to move back to the house if things go according to my plan.

Anders247

Congo tetra
Administrator
Forum Veteran
Reaction score
The only common I ever had (before I knew they got so big) died soon after I got it.

LizStreithorst

Celestial pearl danio
Reaction score
It may have picked up a bug at the pet shop. It's hard to tell when a pleco is sick.

Anders247

Congo tetra
Administrator
Forum Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, that was probably it. It was odd. Though tbh I was a dumb fishkeeper back then so I'm not surprised.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
It is hard to find used 125s around here. Most of the ones I see are overpriced. I am going to be getting a 75 gallon at the petco dollar per gallon sale instead. Maybe I should keep just the plecos in the 40 when I move the haps into the 75 to keep the tank cycled. Is that a good idea?

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I know, I was just asking if it was a good idea to keep the plecos in the 40 by themselves when I move the haps to the 75, or to move the plecos into the 75 with them.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
What size are they right now?
I have had the common pleco for a few years, but I kept him in cold water so he only started to grow a lot recently. He is about 6 inches and the smaller pleco is about 4 inches. The only reason I would keep them in the 40 would be to keep it cycled since I plan to use it for some other fish, just not right now. Otherwise, I woould move them into the 75 I am planning on getting in the next few days.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
It will be fine until I have the stock tank pond setup. Go look at my baby goldfish and koi photo thread, I meantioned the stock tank pond there.

Aquatic Endeavors

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
I have never seen the advantage of a pleco in any tank. Other than if someone just likes a big pre-historic looking fish that craps lots of ropes, and never eats any algae much after they get bigger.

Fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the thing, there is no advantage. They actually create more waste than they consume!!!

Aquatic Endeavors

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
When i first started keeping fish in the stone age, i had a pleco, like most new hobbyist and even some swear by the bristlenose which i think are ugly, but anyway i quickly learned that when they are small they eat algae, as they get bigger they eat what your other fish eat, and crap ropes. Uggghhh end of pleco's in my tanks. There are much better algae controllers.

Fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
I think there is only like one species that deliberately eats the GREEN algae in your tank. Some eat Brown and Yellow, some don't even eat any.

Aquatic Endeavors

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
I keep them because I like them :D
Not saying you shouldn't Carp, to each his own, and because you like them is a fantastic reason, and the only really good reason for anyone's decision of what to keep or not to keep. I have always done it my way, and will most likely continue. :)

Fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
I was originally going to get some Pirahnas :) but they're illegal in Louisiana... :( They're a really interesting species that gains courage through schooling. I decided to aim for something else though.

Aquatic Endeavors

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
i did keep a Royal and a Gold Nugget for awhile but just because i liked their look, not because of any illusion of a super lawn mower.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I was originally going to get some Pirahnas :) but they're illegal in Louisiana... :( They're a really interesting species that gains courage through schooling. I decided to aim for something else though.
Piranhas are illegal here too :(

Fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
I think it's funny that you use arrows with shotgun shells on the end of them for hunting in Louisiana but can't own a Red Fox lmaooo

Aquatic Endeavors

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
That would work, a good one size fits all thread LOL

You staff members will need to get this squared away, pretty soon this site will be so busy you wont be able to keep up, then you could do like Facebook and have one never ending thread about everything. That way you can never find anything LMAO

I hate Facebook Groups.