Dang filter

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Roxane1232, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Roxane1232

Roxane1232 Bolivian ram Well-known Member

Nothing more frustrating than having a filter go out. Luckily I had an extra filter on hand and another 10 gallon filter already cycling so I switched that all over so now I'm going to have to buy a new filter for my 38 gallon Im setting up.

I hope I don't have a mini cycle.

2. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Rainbow cichlid Administrator Fish mentor

Did you switch over the filter media from the filter that went out to the new filter? Also, what kind of filter is it, and did the pump just stop working? I once had an AquaClear filter stop working, but I removed the pump and took the impeller out and cleaned it off, and it started working again after I reassembled it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  3. Roxane1232

Yes I did that and dumped all the water from my old filter to the new one and also have a 10 gallon filter that is already cycled still in the tank as well. I have a whisper 10-30i that stopped working and switched my media sponge into a 40i Whisper..

4. CarpCharacin

Did you try removing the impeller and cleaning it? I meant to put I instead of U in my other post when I talked about cleaning the impeller.

5. Roxane1232

I did that and it didn't work. Of course I have had it for almost a year.

6. CarpCharacin

Then the pump probably just went out.

7. SilverFlame819

SilverFlame819 German blue ram Fish guru

I had my old Whisper filters for more than a decade, and never had one quit on me. That's weird. Sometimes they'd play dead after I cleaned the impeller and put them back together, but I'd put a little water in them and smack them really hard on the side of the motor, and they'd jump back to life. I've had to do the same thing to my AquaClears. Have you beat on it a little? It may just need a jumpstart. :D