Local Fish Store Fish with fin rot at Fish 4 U

Discussion in 'Local Fishkeeping Discussion' started by CarpCharacin, Jul 14, 2017.

1. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Rainbow cichlid Administrator Fish mentor

Today I went to Fish 4 U and got some spiderwood and a small koi for my pond. While I was there, I saw a tank with tetras and some small cichlids there that had fin rot. I couldn't tell if they were treating it or not, but it looked like the fish were still for sale. I have never seen sick fish at Fish 4 U before.

2. Dharma

Dharma German blue ram Fish guru

That sucks! Fish 4 U is one of our Fav shops in the SLC area.

3. CarpCharacin

I know, Fish 4 U is my favorite LFS too.

4. SilverFlame819

SilverFlame819 Neon tetra Member

I picked up fish there last week, and I wanted some Corys that had just arrived, but some of them had arrived dead, and she was concerned about the remaining ones, even though they looked okay. She would not sell them to me. So even though the tank doesn't have a big, red X on it doesn't mean you'll be able to buy from it. Also, I scoured the tanks for a half-hour, and didn't see this tank of fish you're talking about. Everything looked okay. So I'm guessing they treated them?

5. SilverFlame819

(Or I suppose they could have all kicked the bucket and were being replaced by new ones? But letting a whole tank of fish die off doesn't seem like their style... That being said, I don't recognize a single person working there. The entire old crew is gone from when I used to shop there. Are Kris and Carrie still the owners??)

6. CarpCharacin

I was there a few days ago to get fish food, and I didn't see the fish with fin rot, so I think they treated them, but I saw some fish in another tank looked like they might have fin rot. I doubt they would they an entire tank die off

7. Roxane1232

Roxane1232 German blue ram Fish guru

When I was in there last month one of the co owners mentioned that her sister had some kind of an accident, but I haven't seen much of any of them either, mostly I have seen high school kids working. It also kind of looked like the some of the fish weren't as happy as the ones I currently have in my tank. I might be going to pets and such until the owners are back at the shop full time. It sucks because fish 4 U has been the only fish store I have bought fish from.

8. Roxane1232

So I was a little worried after reading that Fish 4 U was going downhill, so I thought to drive over there and just see what was going on, and it looks like 2 of the original owners are back in charge. I think everything will be back up to their standards before to long. My guess is that they just let the kids take over for a bit while the main owner was recovering.

9. CarpCharacin

I hope so. I'm glad that the main owner is back.

10. Roxane1232

I think there are 3 I believe the two women that run the store are sisters. But the main guy and one of the ladys were the only ones in the store today, so my guess is they were not to happy with the guys they hired.

11. SilverFlame819

The original owners, who have run the store for decades are Kris (shorter dude with long, dark hair), and Carrie (tall woman, long brown hair, really nice). They used to be there almost exclusively. I think they took a couple weekdays off, but always worked weekends, during the rush. When I was in there recently I met the woman who's been doing fish on order days and whatnot. Seems like maybe she's one of the main peeps there now? I didn't get her name. It is so weird to see teenagers working there, all fresh-faced and right out of school. Oh well, I guess we all start somewhere, right?? Gotta get new blood in this hobby somehow! :) Back in the day, it was the same crew for years. The long-haired 20-something dude and the chick with the Fish 4 U tat ... (Amber??) I'm drawing a blank on both of their names, but they were there for years and years. It sucks when you come back to a hobby and everyone is new and all your old buddies are gone. Oh well. Onwards and upwards and all that jazz. :)

Just glanced at their Facebook page... If you go to their Photos page on Facebook, there are two photos of people. In one photo is Carrie on the left, and the other photo has Kris on the left. Just to put faces with names. :)

12. Roxane1232

Yeah Kris is the one that helped me today with finding some gravel, to keep them in place without my little panda corys digging them out. I also remember Carrie, sweet lady, there is also another lady that I don't remember that is her sister. I think Carrie is the one that had the accident, right before summer, because I haven't seen her there since. They were really awesome in helping me figure out my stock for my tank, and making sure all of my fish got along. They even ordered a female honey gourami, after I was asking about one.

13. SilverFlame819

Oh, no. I hope she's okay. Carrie is awesome! She's always been my favorite person there.

14. Roxane1232

I like her to she was amazing with helping me cycle my tank, with advice. I went to the store today again to see if they got some more amano shrimp in and it looks like she is finally back at work.

15. Roxane1232

I went to fish 4 U to get 4 more espei rasboras and an assassin snail, and I am happy to say everything is back to high standard there, and looks like Carrie is also back to being in charge over there.

16. CarpCharacin

I went there today and I got a white telescope eye butterfly goldfish today, and most of the fish looked healthy, but there were a few fish with fin rot in one of the other goldfish tanks. It looked like they might be treating the fish, since they were isolated from the other goldfish.

17. Roxane1232

The one thing I like is that if a fish has a health issue before they sell it to you. Did you notice if they have any endlers. I'm looking to get a few fish friends for my honey gourami to play with.

18. CarpCharacin

I didn't see endlers, but I mainly just looked at the goldfish and the cichlids.