Flowerhorn hit head

Discussion in 'Aquatic Health/Diseases' started by CarpCharacin, Jan 30, 2018.

1. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Rainbow cichlid Administrator Fish mentor

My flowerhorn hit his head against the side of the tank, there is a small white spot on his nuchal hump where he hit it, but he is acting fine. Will he be OK? I don't have much experience keeping flowerhorns, is there anything I should watch out for?

2. Protim Sarkar

Protim Sarkar German blue ram Fish guru

You can change some amount of water. He would be fine.

3. CarpCharacin

He's fine, the abrasion is already mostly healed.

4. Protim Sarkar

That's great !(y)

5. CarpCharacin

It almost looks like he hit his head again, I hope he's ok. I'm going to add some sand to the tank today, along with a terra cotta pot for him to hide in.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  6. CarpCharacin

I haven't added the sand yet, I haven't had time. His head hasn't healed up yet, but I think it's starting to. I'm just a little worried, because it looks like there might be a slight indentation where he hit his head.

7. CarpCharacin

I have two sponge filters in the tank that he goes under to hide, so I was thinking that he might be scraping his head when he goes under them, so I did a water change and added the sand and terra cotta pot. I was a little worried that he might have a secondary infection, but he's eating well, and I think that if he had an infection, he wouldn't be eating as much. I just fed him a big chunk of bloodworms, and he ate the whole thing.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  8. Protim Sarkar

Change some water. Then add some drops of Melafix.

9. CarpCharacin

I did a water change yesterday like I said, and I would like to avoid using any antibiotics if he doesn't have an infection.

10. CarpCharacin

It looks like he might have scraped or hit it again, in the same spot. I think it might be happening when he hides under the sponge filter, so I tried burying the bases of the sponge filters in the sand so he won't be able to get under them anymore. I'm just a little worried about his head scarring, but I don't think it will.

11. Protim Sarkar

Can you get a full picture of the tank ?

12. CarpCharacin

His head had completely healed up, but he just scraped it again a few days ago. Now it looks kind of white and fuzzy where he scraped it. Do you think it's fungus, or just a slime coat irritation?

13. Protim Sarkar

Can you post an Image ?

14. CarpCharacin

I'll post one tomorrow. I think it;s probably a slime coat irritation, so I might try Stress Coat.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  15. Protim Sarkar

No problem !(y)