Flowerhorn hit head

CarpCharacin

Cyprinus carpio
Administrator
Fish mentor
Ratings
My flowerhorn hit his head against the side of the tank, there is a small white spot on his nuchal hump where he hit it, but he is acting fine. Will he be OK? I don't have much experience keeping flowerhorns, is there anything I should watch out for?

CarpCharacin

Cyprinus carpio
Administrator
Fish mentor
Ratings
I have two sponge filters in the tank that he goes under to hide, so I was thinking that he might be scraping his head when he goes under them, so I did a water change and added the sand and terra cotta pot. I was a little worried that he might have a secondary infection, but he's eating well, and I think that if he had an infection, he wouldn't be eating as much. I just fed him a big chunk of bloodworms, and he ate the whole thing.

Last edited:

CarpCharacin

Cyprinus carpio
Administrator
Fish mentor
Ratings
It looks like he might have scraped or hit it again, in the same spot. I think it might be happening when he hides under the sponge filter, so I tried burying the bases of the sponge filters in the sand so he won't be able to get under them anymore. I'm just a little worried about his head scarring, but I don't think it will.