Flowerhorn

Discussion in 'Aquatic Health/Diseases' started by Tian, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Tian

Tian Neon tetra Member

Good day everyone,

about a month ago our male flowerhorn was attacked by his female (we suspected her)
    and his hole nostril was "gone". Like a big hole that swoled up. We treated with general aid for a couple of days but noticed the situation just getting worse. White hairy stuff which brought me under the impression that it is bacterial infection?
    So we got Baktopur meds from Sera. Another week passed by and he was almost cured. (just a little hole left slightly larger than what the nostril hole was but colour back to normal and swolling gone) So 2 days after the last treatment i did a 50% waterchange, put the carbon back in the cannister and new filter floss, vacuumed the bottom decently etc etc etc. Did another waterchange a week later.

So Sunday we noticed he was not himself. Quite in the corner of the tank the hole time. He did like a sneeze effect and white hairy stuff came out of his nostril. Below his eye on his cheek, it is swolen.
    So i started the treatment again. Did a 50% waterchange, added Baktopur meds again but also this time i thought to remove him from the tank, and soak the wound with a little salt water on a cotton. Also, i noticed his eyes is black?

So my brother in law told me that he thinks it is the Polypterus Senegalus (Birchir i think is the aquatic name) could have been the attacker, apparently they have some kind of a poison or poisonous slime in their teeth.... Is that possible? if not

What can this be?
    How can i treat it if i am treating it wrongly now?

The picture attached was from a month ago just before we started treating with Baktopur medication. IMG-20170927-WA0020.jpg

2. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Rainbow cichlid Administrator Fish mentor

It looks like it might be bacterial. I haven't heard of Sera Baktopur before, I don't think It's available where I live, but it looks like some kind of anti-bacterial medication. If it was working before, try treating him again.

3. Tian

Tian Neon tetra Member

Today would be the 3rd dose of it.... But the swoling on his cheek seems to get larger.
    Should i try pop it like a zid maybe? And should i continue with a salt bath?

His kok is getting smaller but i think that might be the stress he is having.

4. CarpCharacin

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, how is he doing now? I wouldn't try to pop it, you could make it worse.

5. Tian

Tian Neon tetra Member

Thanks for asking @CarpCharacin ,

Unforgently the guy did not make it...
    At the end i did not try to pop it, just continued with the meds and waterchanges. But yeah, he did not make it.

6. CarpCharacin

Sorry for your loss :(

7. Tian

Tian Neon tetra Member

Thanks....

8. Anders247

Anders247 Bolivian ram Administrator Moderator Well-known Member

Sorry for your loss. :(

9. Tian

Tian Neon tetra Member

Thanks Anders.... :)