Giant Danios

sidfish

Neon tetra
Reaction score
The Giant Danio's have proved to be interesting, started out with 3 to fish cycle my 40 gallon breeder. They have grown from 1.5 inches to almost 4 inches and are full of colour now. One thing that takes getting used to is their Speedy Gonzales behaviour... man are they fast! You can get dizzy watching them. They school with 5 of the smaller Danio variety and recently I discovered an accident.... I was cycling my 10 gal quarantine with established filter and grabbed a handful of gravel from another tank. Shortly after I spy "micro fish" swimming around. Yes you guessed it, I now have 5 more Giant Danio fry. Might as well have a shoal right!
Danio single_ dramaSnapseed.jpg

sidfish

Neon tetra
Reaction score
Thank you Anders, I'm considering some Rainbows and doing some research on them. Saw a tank of Australian's and Boesemani at the local fish store this week. Beautiful fish.

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
The Giant Danio's have proved to be interesting, started out with 3 to fish cycle my 40 gallon breeder. They have grown from 1.5 inches to almost 4 inches and are full of colour now. One thing that takes getting used to is their Speedy Gonzales behaviour... man are they fast! You can get dizzy watching them. They school with 5 of the smaller Danio variety and recently I discovered an accident.... I was cycling my 10 gal quarantine with established filter and grabbed a handful of gravel from another tank. Shortly after I spy "micro fish" swimming around. Yes you guessed it, I now have 5 more Giant Danio fry. Might as well have a shoal right!
View attachment 1380
I have seen them at my lfs and almost got a school of them. They are stunning.

sidfish

Neon tetra
Reaction score
The fry are already past 1/2 inch and have the long luminous stripe on them. Just make sure you have a tank long enough for them to swim... at least 36 inches. They are too fast for my community tank, scare the rams a bit and take food from others. Otherwise they are great fish!

sidfish

Neon tetra
Reaction score
Yeah mine were regular Australians, once I get back into it I'll definitely get more colorful species. Have you seen the Madagascan rainbows?
Yes Anders, the Madagascan's are nice!

Bedotia_madagascariensis_male.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: