Hi, all.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by SilverFlame819, Jul 30, 2017.

1. SilverFlame819

SilverFlame819 Neon tetra Member

Angela here. Used to be a member years ago of some other Utah fish forums, but looks like they're all gone now. Where has everyone migrated to?!

I sold all my tanks and moved into my RV for a year, in preparation for moving back to California, but haven't ended up being able to move yet, and couldn't handle life without fish, so I'm slowly building my tanks back up again. I would really love to start breeding Corys, and maybe a few other species. Currently all I've got are a bunch of planted Betta tanks. But man oh man, are there some great deals on KSL lately! :D

Living in downtown SLC, trying to curb my fish hoarding tendencies. Haha!

2. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Rainbow cichlid Administrator Fish mentor

Welcome! Out of curiosity, what varieties of betta fish do you keep?

3. SilverFlame819

I used to have the whole spectrum of fluffy fish, but I currently only have a "Paradise" and a "Butterfly". Back when I was raising Bettas, these two varieties didn't even exist, so I don't know much about them. Look almost like a Veiltail and a Half-moon? I've got my work cut out for me, getting back up to speed on varieties. I told myself that I don't need to breed any Bettas, but today I saw a little purple pied female, and a yellow-finned girl with black edging, and I had to slap some sense back into myself so I wouldn't buy them both. *lol*

4. SilverFlame819

OMG, the impossible task of taking a picture of a Betta... "Look at me, look at me, look at me! I'm going to flutter in circles and dart up and down so every picture is a blur!" Ugh.

So, my Butterfly is actually pretty sky blue, NOT dark blue-grey, but I gave up on getting a decent pic after ten minutes. He does NOT stop moving. The Paradise appears dark royal blue and yellow when he's directly under his tank lights, so tried to get a pic of his "real" color (orange and turquoise) by turning my flash on to counteract the aquarium light. Sheesh. If only you could clicker train a fish to sit still for the camera. :D

I really like Bettas that are NOT one plain color. There have been some awesome ones at the Petco in Sugarhouse in the last week. Pure white bodies, pink and gold fins, even pure black ones. They've got one there now that's soft blue and tan. Looks like it should live in the ocean. But my 3 newest tanks are still cycling, so I had to hold myself back.

The Butterfly...
    butterfly.jpg

Paradise boy... Not accurate colors, but you can see his fin lacing better here.
    paradise1.jpg
    Same fish as above but in lighting that better shows his true colors... Little monster.

paradise2.jpg

5. CarpCharacin

Wow, your bettas are impressive! I agree, I like bettas that are multiple colors, koi bettas are my favorite.

6. SilverFlame819

I agree, they're gorgeous. But hard to find good quality Kois! The Petco in Sugarhouse keeps getting in these Plakat Bettas that have the body splashes of a Koi, but they're more blurry and mottled, and I like crisp, clear color splashes. I do like the "painted" looking Bettas, that have streaks of white in their fins and spotted bodies, but on a Koi, they need to have defined calico spots, not the messy paint splashes. I don't even know what the ones are called with the metallic, solid-white bodies, but that Petco has had several of them in the last couple weeks. Stunning white bodies that almost looks like they're wearing armor. One of them had bubblegum-pink fins, another had soft peach, and yet another had gold. It's refreshing to go to a chain store and find some quality fish. Not sure who their supplier is, but there really are some impressive fish popping up there every week. I went to Petsmart, thinking maybe they're buying from the same supplier, and nope. All pretty boring-looking there. They don't have the fin variety that Petco does either. Mostly plain old Veils and Crowns. Petco has Kings, Double-tails, Rosetails, Elephant Ears, etc.

Ew. I feel so dirty saying nice things about a chain store. *lol* But seriously, what they are lacking in variety with the rest of their stock, they're more than making up for with their Bettas. (Watch, now that I just said that, all they'll have for the next year are plain red and blue veils. Haha!)

7. SilverFlame819

Do any of the people from the old forums ever make an appearance here? I looked through the user list and didn't recognize any of the names. There was a dude from Lehi that raised Endlers, a guy from up north that had Cichlids and lots of plants, and a dude here in Salt Lake who was like the plant mastermind? A woman from Happy Valley named Kim, I think? Another chick who had some softwater tanks... Taylor, maybe?

8. CarpCharacin

I think @Tug said he was a member of Utah Aquatics before it shut down.

9. Anders247

Anders247 Bolivian ram Administrator Moderator Well-known Member

10. SilverFlame819

Thanks, Anders. :)