Hi

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Roxane1232, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Roxane1232

Roxane1232 Bolivian ram Well-known Member

I am very new to the Hobby I recently just purchased an amazing used 37-gallon fresh water aquarium that had a few decorations a filter gravel as well as water conditioner and air pump so right now I am in the process of researching before I set it up. I also plan on including my nieces and nephews in the project, so I want to have the tank up and running and cycled before school is out, so the plan is to start setting it up no later than the middle of April. So any ideas to get it up and running smoothly would be much appreciated, I already plan on getting my water from Fish R Us as well as my water heater, and live plants but I am open to other suggestions. The fish I am definetly interested in are Angelfish, Gouramis, although I know I can only have one or the other corries, and raspboras, I also plan on getting shrimp to help with the algae, and having my nieces and nephews each pick their own fish, so far my nephew wants a red tailed shark.

Attached Files:

2. Anders247

Anders247 Bolivian ram Administrator Moderator Well-known Member

Welcome to the forum!

3. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio Administrator Fish mentor

Welcome to the forum! We are glad you decided to join. You have a few options on how to cycle the tank. You could either use pure ammonia to cycle it without fish, or you could add a small amount of hardy fish to cycle the tank and then slowly add more fish.

4. Anders247

Are the dimensions of the tank 30 by 12? I'll help you set up the stocking.

5. Roxane1232

I think I am going to get a few hardy fish from fish r us when I have it all set up. What fish do you suggest I use for the cycle, I can't get fin nippers because I plan on getting either a Gourami or Angel as my centerpiece fish.

6. Roxane1232

Yes that would be great thanks.

7. Anders247

I'd suggest this:
    1 angelfish
    1 banded gourami
    8 rummynose tetras
    8 cardinal tetras
    8 kuhli loaches or sterbai cories
    2 german blue rams

Are you OK with getting a fish for the cycle and then rehoming them? If so, you could add like 6 zebra danios until it is cycled, then return them and get the rummynose tetras or cardinal tetras.

Keep the temperature around 80F for the stock I have listed, if you go with it.

8. Roxane1232

I could probably just return them to the fish store, where can I find kuhli loaches, my local store said that they had some kind of bacterial infection and they wheren't available in Utah.

9. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio Administrator Fish mentor

Yeah, Fish 4 U would probably take them.

10. Roxane1232

My brother has bought fish from that store and exchanged them quite a bit.

11. Anders247

You could go with warm water cories instead, sterbai, aeneus, adolfoi, duplicareus, gossei, or splendens would work instead. Just do one species though, mixing and matching cories isn't a great idea.

12. Roxane1232

Thanks for the advice, I actually saw some really cute sterbai cories at Petsmart today I thought they where stunning.

13. Anders247