Howdy!

Ozzy47

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
I thought I should finally post an intro thread. I go by the username ozzy47 on many forums and have for years.

I used to be really into the fish hobby, but have not had my tank running for about six years now. The poor 125 is just sitting there empty. :(

I also used to own a pet shop, and we dealt mostly in fish, and our specialty was African Cichlids

Last edited by a moderator:

Ozzy47

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
I dunno, I have thought about it. It would not take long, it is still sitting in my room with all the substrate and decorations in it, but it would need a thorough cleaning.

Ozzy47

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
I really don't have the spare cash to get mine going again either, but I may one day. Cichlids have went up in price over the years, wish I still had all my old breeder contacts. :(

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Ratings
I really don't have the spare cash to get mine going again either, but I may one day. Cichlids have went up in price over the years, wish I still had all my old breeder contacts. :(
I find that it's hard to even get a pair for breeding. All my lfs's are saturated with one gender of fish, with less than 1/10 being the opposite. It tends to vary with species - With Angels females are more common - Severums and Firemouths seem to all be male. It may just be my location.

CarpCharacin

Cyprinus carpio
Administrator
Fish mentor
Ratings
I got my cichlids from livefishdirect.com and I think they were a pretty good price. LiveFishDirect is based out of utah and they are open to the public on saturdays, so I didn't have to pay for shipping. I think that they ship to all of the US.

Ozzy47

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
I got my cichlids from livefishdirect.com and I think they were a pretty good price. LiveFishDirect is based out of utah and they are open to the public on saturdays, so I didn't have to pay for shipping. I think that they ship to all of the US.
I am the type I like to see the fish live, and if possible see where they are housed, that is why I used to like the local breeders, I would go to their houses to pick out the fish for the store and myself.

CarpCharacin

Cyprinus carpio
Administrator
Fish mentor
Ratings
Are Discus popular in your area? I hardly sold any in my store, seemed people around here did not go for them.
Yes, they are popular. There just aren't too many breeders. The fish stores sell them quickly when they get them in stock. When I post my posters, I will tell them that I am going to start breeding discus.

Ozzy47

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
Are you going to have the time and dedication to do it, without lapsing on the responsibilities? If not, I would wait till you can devote your full attention to it, you don't want to get a bad name in the breeding community.

GTB

Neon tetra
Ratings
There amount of time needed dedicated to breeding and keeping discus is far more than one might think. Many who start breeding Discus pack in once they realise how much time is taken up doing it. And once you have fry and they grow too large to feed of the parents body mucus - you then have to start hatching brine shrimps (with other hatching behind them setup) and things really become time consuming then doing about 5-6 feeds a day to keep them alive growing on until big enough to start feeding them home-made beef heart (which again you're going out buying pigs hearts and making that up also) into flat packs. Very time consuming and you can lose whole batches of 500-1000 young Discus fish in a matter of days if they come down with flukes - which they are very susceptible too getting and very hard to cure. It can wipe out 1000's of fry in days that you spent months rearing on.