I am entering my chickens into the Utah State Fair!

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by CarpCharacin, Sep 2, 2016.

1. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio Administrator Fish mentor

I am entering all 7 of my pet chickens into the state fair! We put numbered leg bands on all of them yesterday and we vaccinated them today.

2. CarpCharacin

WE TOOK THE CHICKENS TO FAIR TODAY!!!!!!! If you are there, the tags on the cages have the name of the owner. The tags that say James R Stewart are mine. All 7 are there.

3. CarpCharacin

They all won!!! Mostley blue ribbons, but one got a red ribbon. I entered 2 of the same variety and one got a blue ribbon and the other got a red ribbon. 2 of mine were best of show. My rhode island red was reserved best american and my black langshan was reserved best Asiatic.

4. cfmack

cfmack Celestial pearl danio New member

That's great. We have a lot of agricultural fairs here in New England during the autumn. Great way to spend an afternoon.

5. Cranky Old Fishkeeper

Cranky Old Fishkeeper Neon tetra Member

I think being involved in the fair by way of entering animals you have raised yourself, is a fantastic and applaudable way to spend your time. There are lots of less desirable things a young man could be doing. :) bravo, and congrats on your win.

6. CarpCharacin

I vaccinated all of them myself before bringing them to the fair.

7. Cranky Old Fishkeeper

Cranky Old Fishkeeper Neon tetra Member

WoW ! now you are a Vet also, :) good job. !

8. LizStreithorst

LizStreithorst Celestial pearl danio New member

That is so cool. Did you breed your hens yourself or buy them? I bred and showed dairy goats for almost 20 years. I was a highly respected breeder, not quite famous. I still go to shows to evaluate the goats, critique the judges and help my friends show their animals.

My State Fair has a chicken show going on at the same time as the dairy goat show. I have chicks ordered that will arrive in April. I'm getting these https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/light_brahmas.html I had them once before. They are large gentle hens and they are quite beautiful. I'm exciting, but I need to do a lot of building and fencing before they get here.

Please tell me what you did to prep your hens for the show. Please go into detail. It it would be a fun thing to go to a goat show and show chickens in one fell swoop.

9. CarpCharacin

I bought them when they were only a few days old. We got most of them at IFA and we got the two Jersey Giants from a lady who hatches them. The judge at the fair said they are australorps because their feet aren't super yellow, but their nails are yellow so I think that they are Jerseys.

To prep them for the fair, I vaccinated them all for merek's virus a few weeks in advance and then we gave them all baths the day before we took them too the fair.

Here are some pictures of my Light Brahma while she was at the fair
    20160917_165121.jpg 20160917_165125.jpg 20160917_165129.jpg
    I think that she was the favorite hen there. She let people pet her through the cage.

This is my white cochin
    20160917_165203.jpg 20160917_165213.jpg
    She would peck at people when they tried to pet her.

This is my Barred Plymouth Rock
    20160917_165455.jpg 20160917_165552.jpg

This is my Rhode Island Red
    20160917_165054.jpg

This is my black langshan
    20160917_165223.jpg 20160917_165154.jpg

And these are my 2 Jersey Giants
    20160917_165020.jpg 20160917_165024.jpg
    20160917_165538.jpg

6 out of the 7 chickens I entered won blue ribbons, so I won first place for every breed that I entered.

10. LizStreithorst

The only pics I could see were the first two, the ones of the Brahma's but how cool that you have one! I looked for one at my fair but there were none.

What is the IFA? How far is your State fair from your house. Mine is just 90 miles away.

11. CarpCharacin

IFA is a store. They have. The fair is 3 miles away from my house.

12. LizStreithorst

Three miles is walking distance unless you're taking livestock. You're way lucky. Do you life in the city? I live in the sticks.

13. CarpCharacin

I live in the city. We put the chickens in laundry baskets and we strapped the baskets to carts and loaded them in the car and took them to the fair park. We just wheeled the carts over to the chicken building and dropped the chickens off in their cages.

14. LizStreithorst

Cities have a lot to offer that I miss but my soul needs elbow room. I have just under 10 acres. I can't see my closest neighbor's house. It's heaven.

I could put a hen in a dog carrier and take it to the show in my little truck. It would be fun. I would't care if I won or not. I've vaccinated more animals than I can count. I've never done a chicken but I will learn how. I'm a dog groomer. I've won awards at grooming competitions. I'll find out all the best products and methods to use.

Shoot, my show hen isn't even a twinkle in the roosters eye and I'm thinking about showing.

15. CarpCharacin

IFA is going to be selling baby chicks starting in february. I am planing on getting a Blue Langshan and a Dark brahma at IFA. I am also going to be getting a Easter Egger and a Black Copper Maran at a local atchery.

16. Aquatic Endeavors

Aquatic Endeavors German blue ram Fish guru

USA
    Sorry to dredge out an old post but i think Carp has some nice looking chickens :)

17. CarpCharacin

I entered all of my chickens into the 2017 Utah State Fair. They will be there September 7-10.

18. CarpCharacin

I dropped off 11 of my 12 chickens at the fairpark today. I couldn't find Josephine, my Easter Egger. I think she's sitting on a nest of eggs somewhere, if she shows up tomorrow, I will drop her off in the morning.

19. CarpCharacin

I picked the chickens up on Sunday, since that was the last day that they have chickens at the fair. I wasn't able to get Josephine to the fair, but I did win 9 first place blue ribbons and two second place ribbons. My Dominique won champion for the american chicken breeds. Here are some pictures of her:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Both of my Olive Eggers, who are my two youngest chickens won first place blue ribbons. The larger won reserve champion for non standard breeds, so that's how they both got ribbons. Here are some pictures of them:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My larger Australorp hen won a blue ribbon and my smaller Australorp won a second place red ribbon. Here are some pictures of them:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Silver Laced Wyandotte hen won second place, here are some pictures: of her:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Rhode Island Red hen won first place, here is a picture of her:
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture of my Barred Plymouth Rock hen, she won first place:
    [​IMG]
    Here is my white Cochin hen, she won first place:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is my Light Brahma hen, she is my largest chicken and she won first place:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here is my Black Langshan, she won Reserve Champion for Asiatic breeds:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. CarpCharacin

I entered all of my chickens into the 2018 Fair, and I'll be dropping them off on September 12th. Last year they had the chicken exhibit first, and then pigeons, but this year they are having pigeons first, so that's why I'm dropping the chickens off a few days later this year.

21. Protim Sarkar

Protim Sarkar German blue ram Moderator Fish guru

Chicken Fair ?

22. CarpCharacin

They have a poultry exhibit at the Utah State Fair every year, and I have been entering my chickens for the past few years, and they can win awards and stuff there. http://www.utahstatefair.com/