I found a fish in the priming pot

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
A while back, a small koi that I introduced into the pond this summer went missing, so I assumed a predator got him. Today I found him in the priming pot, dead. I think he might have died and gotten sucked in.

But I found another fish in the priming pot and it was still alive. I think he hatched in the pond, and I didn't think he was going to make it when I first brought him in, but now he's doing pretty well. I put him in my empty 20 gallon tank that I'm planning to plant, I just haven't ordered the plants yet. I think he might have some fungus on his fins, but it might just be a slime coat irritation, since quite a bit of water moves through the priming pot. I think he's either a koi, or a goldfish koi hybrid.

Last edited:

Five 97

Neon tetra
Reaction score
Congrats on rescuing him, hope he continues to do well! Is it a common occurrence for koi and goldfish to hybridize?

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
Congrats on rescuing him, hope he continues to do well! Is it a common occurrence for koi and goldfish to hybridize?
Yeah, I think it's pretty common. I think some of the fish that I introduced to the pond this spring are hybrids, I had some pond plants in a small container, and I think some of the pond plants I got had eggs on them, so some fish hatched in there, and I brought them in last winter, and introduced them into the pond this spring. But the fish I found in the priming pot was smaller than any of the fish that I introduced in the spring, so I think he hatched in the pond. I had kept the pond pump on over the winter, but we turned it off last night, because the lid of the priming pot cracked.