I found a fish in the priming pot

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
A while back, a small koi that I introduced into the pond this summer went missing, so I assumed a predator got him. Today I found him in the priming pot, dead. I think he might have died and gotten sucked in.

But I found another fish in the priming pot and it was still alive. I think he hatched in the pond, and I didn't think he was going to make it when I first brought him in, but now he's doing pretty well. I put him in my empty 20 gallon tank that I'm planning to plant, I just haven't ordered the plants yet. I think he might have some fungus on his fins, but it might just be a slime coat irritation, since quite a bit of water moves through the priming pot. I think he's either a koi, or a goldfish koi hybrid.

Last edited:

Five 97

Neon tetra
Reaction score
Congrats on rescuing him, hope he continues to do well! Is it a common occurrence for koi and goldfish to hybridize?

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
Congrats on rescuing him, hope he continues to do well! Is it a common occurrence for koi and goldfish to hybridize?
Yeah, I think it's pretty common. I think some of the fish that I introduced to the pond this spring are hybrids, I had some pond plants in a small container, and I think some of the pond plants I got had eggs on them, so some fish hatched in there, and I brought them in last winter, and introduced them into the pond this spring. But the fish I found in the priming pot was smaller than any of the fish that I introduced in the spring, so I think he hatched in the pond. I had kept the pond pump on over the winter, but we turned it off last night, because the lid of the priming pot cracked.

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
He's doing really well. Most of the slime coat irritation has gone away, but his tail fin is kind of raggedy, but it should grow back.

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
He's grown quite a bit, and all of his fins have grown back. He's still in my 20 gallon, but I'm planning on moving him into the pond when it warms up some more.