I got some more chickens today!

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I got 3 chickens at IFA today. I got an Ameraucana, a Silver Laced Wyandotte and a Dominique.
IMG_20170203_192339269_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170203_192344958_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170203_192400684_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170203_192447427_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170203_192501451_HDR.jpg

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I have only had them for like a week and they have grown a lot! They still have to grow a lot more to go out into the coop.

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I ordered two Olive Eggers from a local hatchery and I will be picking them up in May. Olive Eggers lay olive green eggs.

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Did you have to get a permit? I have been wanting to have chickens in my back yard for years.

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I let my chickens free range and I have never gotten in trouble for it. I live in the Avenues.

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
I used to work up in the Avenues. Do you have dogs or cats? I have both.

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
So he must herd your chickens and make sure they stay in the yard.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
He sometimes herds them, but the yard is fenced in and none of them have ever flown out. One hen went missing and we had no idea where she was, but it turned out she was sitting on eggs under the coop.

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
He sometimes herds them, but the yard is fenced in and none of them have ever flown out. One hen went missing and we had no idea where she was, but it turned out she was sitting on eggs under the coop.
That is cute. My friend's Mom has some and she feeds them all of her leftover fruit and veggies.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
Thanks. They sit on my lap if I pick them up, but they don't jump up. I wouldn't want them to jump up because they are sometimes muddy lol

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I found out that the chicken I thought was an ameraucana is actually an easter egger. I hope she lays blue eggs.

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
This thread is giving me hardcore city fever. That's like cabin fever, but only when you're trapped in the city instead of a cabin. :p

I used to live in the middle of nowhere, and raised livestock for most of my life. Before moving into downtown SLC, I had about 250 chickens. I sold eggs and chicks. Next to fish, rabbits and chickens are probably my biggest obsessions. I can't wait to get the hell out of here and move back to the country, where I can have a bajillion animals again!! I also had milk goats, sheep, pheasants, ducks, quail, partridge, pigeons, doves, parakeets, cockatiels, horses, and a bummer calf (and a hedgehog, guinea pigs, mice, dogs, cats, turtles, lizards, etc etc etc)... :D

EE's rarely lay blue eggs. Once you start mixing other breeds into the genepool, the blue egg gene gets muddy pretty quickly. They usually lay green, or blue-green. Although I've had them lay cream, pink, peach, brownish-pink, and I had one that laid cream with purple speckles. I've always wanted to take on a pink egg breeding project. They are genetically about the same as a blue egg (the color extends through the egg, they are not white on the inside like a brown egg), but finding people who have off-laying Araucanas and EE's who would sell you a single hen seems like a stretch. I'd have to purposely breed for them.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
My easter egger is laying bluish green eggs. I live in the avenues in SLC and I have room for chickens. I also have two olive eggers that I got this may. They are a hybrid between a blue laying breed like an americauna and a dark brown laying breed such as a black copper maran.
Here are some pictures of them:

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Is that last one rumpless? If so, she's half Araucana. Rumpless isn't in the Ameraucana genepool.

Don't you just love them! Chickens are the coolest. I had a ton of rare breeds, a few common breeds, and a pile of mutts. I just love the color genetics when cross-breeding weird types.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
No, she isn't rumpless, her tail feather is just down in that picture. I love my chickens, especially my brahma. She acts like a big teddy bear. I feel kind of bad for her, because last week I noticed she has bumblefoot. A few of my other chickens do too, I'm treating it.
Here is a picture of her:
IMG_20170718_172618969_HDR.jpg

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
I got a Light Brahma once as a rescue. She was absolutely mangled. The guy had her in with Banties who were LITERALLY eating her alive. I didn't think she'd ever regrow her feathers, those monsters had taken off a very thick layer of her skin, and she only had a few feathers left. She was one giant scab, it was terrible. But she bounced back, and I was surprised when she actually regrew all of her feathers! She was a good girl. They are such sweet birds. Her name was Ericka. (Random!) :)

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
No, none of mine were vaccinated. Most came from certified clean flocks as day-olds, and were fed medicated feed as chicks, then went au naturale after that. Anything coming onto my property after chick stage was kept in quarantine for a week or so and then released with the main flock. Maybe risky, but I never had a single disease in my flock other than a couple chickens with leg mites, which are easily treated.

I don't understand chicken showing in Utah. I don't understand rabbit showing here either, for that matter. It seems like most of what is entered are mutts, and everything gets ribbons. It's so weird. I used to show rabbits when I was younger, and it was HIGHLY competitive. Chicken shows were the same. Everything raised had to be as close to breed standard as possible. There were no mutts. (How do you judge mutts? By what criteria??) That's one of the things I miss most about living on the coast, the lack of a good show circuit here. The only things I've ever shown at the state fair here in Utah were goats. I entered a county fair with my rabbits when I was younger and had first moved here, but then realized that everyone just got ribbons based on "pretty", and there was no actual competition, and my fire for that died really quickly. Also, you expose your animals to a lot of weird things when attending shows, so there's just gotta be more payout for me than a thumbs up. At an ARBA-sanctioned show, your rabbits earn legs toward their grand championship, which makes their kits worth more. Maybe I'm just a cranky old lady now. :D Did you see about swine flu showing up at one of the fairs recently, and no animal was allowed to leave the barn, and they were all sent to slaughter? Like, people's breeding stock! Eek. Scary!

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
(Also, most of your pix from the old thread are just broken links now...) :(

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
Ugh, it turns out that BOTH of my olive eggers are roosters! I got them from Chase Hatchery, and they said they were pullets. I have gotten 4 chickens from there, and not once have I gotten what I wanted. Last spring, I got what I thought were two Jersey Giant hens, but they ended up being Australorp hens.

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Ugh, it turns out that BOTH of my olive eggers are roosters! I got them from Chase Hatchery, and they said they were pullets. I have gotten 4 chickens from there, and not once have I gotten what I wanted. Last spring, I got what I thought were two Jersey Giant hens, but they ended up being Australorp hens.
Maybe you'll get lucky and have a few chicks, only problem is if your roosters crow, neighbors get mad.

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
They crow, but thankfully they don't do it super early on the morning.
That's good roosters can have fun personalities, I had a rooster when growing up after I snuck some chicks home but unfortunately one of the neighborhood cats got a hold of him, he used to perch on wrist.

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Ooh, if you're still in the Aves, you can get slapped with a pretty hefty fine for having roos.

I find that you have a better chance of getting pullets if you order straight from the hatchery. When you buy from feed stores, they tend to buy straight run batches that get mixed in with their pullet orders. I've never once gotten a pullet from a feed store. They always say "pullet" or "mixed run", but every time, I've brought home boys. I know that's not an easy answer for most people though, as hatcheries have a 25 chick minimum... Could you get together with other people and split an order?

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
All of the chicks I got from IFA were pullets, but I haven't alwasy gotten the breed I wanted. I think I mentioned this before, but I got what I thought was an Ameraucana, but she ended up being an Easter Egger.

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
You are never going to get a nice Ameraucana from a hatchery. The Ameraucana breed standard only accepts a few varieties, and hatcheries will sell just about anything as an Ameraucana or Araucana, but they're all EE's. I once ordered White Cochins and got a whole order of Langshans. Called the hatchery, and they insisted they didn't sell Langshans. And I had to be like, "Look, lady, I know the catalog doesn't SAY you sell Langshans, but I'm looking at my birds and they are 100% Langshans, so the people you buy your eggs from gave you the wrong kind." Wrong build, wrong skin color, wrong feather structure, everything. I looked at their catalog recently, and they've since added Langshans. *lol* I did have a cool thing happen once when I ordered French Cuckoo Marans. Some newbie at the hatchery mixed the FCM's with clean-legged Marans and Dominiques, since they all "looked the same". So the hatchery called me and said, "Some of the babies we sent you might not be the exact babies you ordered, so we want to offer you a refund on all of them." They didn't even care that I may have received the right variety, they wanted to nip it in the bud before the customers started calling in 6 months to complain. It was pretty cool. Free chickens! :D

I think my biggest complaint about hatcheries is simply that half of what they sell isn't what it's supposed to be. Rocks with white skin, Dominiques with single combs, Barred Rocks that are cuckoo instead of barred, etc. I understand that they sell for pretty cheaply, but you should at least get the variety you're paying for.

That being said, I've had some really cool chickens that I got from hatcheries. I got some show-quality RS Yokohamas from Ideal. The Yoko breeders were seriously impressed. And I got some Jaerhons that were just the neatest birds. So incredibly friendly. They liked to ride around on my shoulder and get their ears scratched like a parrot. There are some really cool birds out there! Fanciers just keep upping the game. :)

I really want to do a colored egg project. I used to have a girl who laid peach-colored eggs with purple speckles, and some pink layers, and one girl who laid yellow eggs. I really would love to be able to figure out how to recreate that. There are some people looking into the pink eggers, because pink eggs are "off" colors thrown only by a couple colored egg layers. They are like a blue egg, but pink. Where a white egg and brown egg are pretty much the same (crack them open, they're both white on the inside), a blue egg is blue all the way through, and so is a pink egg. Pink eggers are "off layers" in a lot of Araucana flocks. Sign me up!!! That stuff is fun to me. But I'm a big nerd. :p

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
When my Olive Eggers were at the fair, I think the judge thought they were blue Araucanas, but they aren't rumpless, and the larger one is starting to get some feathers on his legs. so I know he's part maran. Olive eggers are basically a cross between blue egg laying chickens like Ameraucanas and Black Copper Marans, so the hens will lay olive green eggs.

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
You know there are lots of feather-legged breeds that are used to create OO's other than Marans. EE is just a cute name for mutt. You can get an OO by crossing a blue layer to a brown layer, and then back to the brown again, or by crossing blue to dark brown. Either works. so you never really know what's in the mix. Honestly, I think that's part of the fun of raising chickens. You can cross a variety, then cross it back to some other variety, and unless someone has documented the cross before, you're always going to be surprised. Some of my coolest chickens were mutts! :)