I may be building a new computer soon

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I am going to be using the 6800k. Newegg had a sale, so we ordered some parts. The case came yesterday so I decided to put in the motherboard standoffs, but I felt that they weren't tight enough and I ended up stripping 3 of the standoff holes inside of the case :(. What should I do? Return the case and get a replacement or try to fix it?

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I am going to probably return the case and get a new one. @Angelphish do you think I got too much ram? I was planning on getting 32, but 64 gb was on sale.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
16 isn't enough. 32 would have been the minimum IMO. I have lots of projects planned and I don't want it to spend a lot of time rendering.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
What graphics card are you going to use?
GTX 1070. Th rest of the parts came today. I am installing all of the stuff on to the board right now. I sent back the case for a replacement today. When the replacement case comes, I will install the PSU, board and graphics card in it.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
GTX 1070. Th rest of the parts came today. I am installing all of the stuff on to the board right now. I sent back the case for a replacement today. When the replacement case comes, I will install the PSU, board and graphics card in it.
Mind giving a list of every part you got? (including psu, motherboard, etc...)

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
The board only has 2 case fan headers and I ordered three 140mm fans. The case comes with two 120mm fans. What should I do? Just use the two 120mm fans or swap them out for two 140mm fans? They aren't PWM fans. The 120mm fans are 1200 rpm and the 140mm fans are 1000 rpm.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
They are a little too fancy, but I like them. I am just exchanging the fractal case for a replacement since it is a micro atx case. The case with the built in water cooling is a full atx case and the 3 compartment case is a mini itx case.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
The board only has 2 case fan headers and I ordered three 140mm fans. The case comes with two 120mm fans. What should I do? Just use the two 120mm fans or swap them out for two 140mm fans? They aren't PWM fans. The 120mm fans are 1200 rpm and the 140mm fans are 1000 rpm.
That seems like it would be about the same either way.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
They are a little too fancy, but I like them. I am just exchanging the fractal case for a replacement since it is a micro atx case. The case with the built in water cooling is a full atx case and the 3 compartment case is a mini itx case.
Most atx cases support smaller boards. The one with built in water cooling happens to be one of those.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
You have an X99 motherboard with an lga 2011 socket and a CPU with a lga 1151 socket. You need a z170 board, not an x99 board. Get an asus maximus board instead.
That seems like it would be about the same either way.
I want it to be as quiet as possible.
Most atx cases support smaller boards. The one with built in water cooling happens to be one of those.
I know, but I don't want a case that is too big. I also want to air cool it, so that is why I am going with the fractal design case.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
You have an X99 motherboard with an lga 2011 socket and a CPU with a lga 1151 socket. You need a z170 board, not an x99 board. Get an asus maximus board instead.

I want it to be as quiet as possible.

I know, but I don't want a case that is too big. I also want to air cool it, so that is why I am going with the fractal design case.
My mistake... I'm getting one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-5820K-Processor-Hyper-Threading-Technology/dp/B00MMLXIKY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1480557980&sr=1-1&keywords=5820k&th=1

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
Why get a motherboard with all of the pcie slots when the CPU only has 28 lanes? Also, why not get a 6800k? 5820ks are based on the old architecture. Just get a 6800k?

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Why get a motherboard with all of the pcie slots when the CPU only has 28 lanes? Also, why not get a 6800k? 5820ks are based on the old architecture. Just get a 6800k?
It would be a lot more expensive to do that, and the money would be better spent on a graphics card since it'll be used for 4k gaming.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
Do you think I put on too much thermal paste? If I look closely, I think I can see a little around the edge of where the heatsink touches the CPU.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
The 6800k has a larger die than a smaller CPU such as the 6700k, so that is why I added more thermal paste.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
The 6800k has a larger die than a smaller CPU such as the 6700k, so that is why I added more thermal paste.
For the money you spent on that computer you could have gotten a nice little aquarium like the one I have.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
But I have needed a new computer for over a year, and newegg had the black friday sale so we ordered the parts. I am probably going to a stock tank pond soon.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
It looks like some kind of media center PC case. Are you sure it supports the eatx board you are putting in it? Also, what CPU cooler are you going to use?