Inline heaters vs internal heaters

CarpCharacin

Philosophical Aquarist
Administrator
Fish mentor
Ratings
I will hopefully be setting up my 180 gallon tank soon, but I'm going to be setting it up in the furnace room, which isn't heated. I initially estimated a 30 degree Fahrenheit difference between the room temperature and the desired tank temperature, and according to the calculation based on that figure, I would need 1200 watts of heating, but I got a digital room temperature thermometer and even though it snowed all today, the room only got down to about 65 degrees, so I'm thinking I'll probably need around 600 watts of heat. I have been thinking about what kind of heater I will use, what are your thoughts on inline heaters? I have never used an inline heater before, but I like them, because I think the tank looks better without the heater in it. The tank is drilled with an overflow in each corner, and I am planning on having two canister filters, one for each overflow, so I am thinking about putting a 300 watt inline heater on each filter return. Has anyone here used inline heaters? If so, what did you think of them?

CarpCharacin

Philosophical Aquarist
Administrator
Fish mentor
Ratings
I have decided that I will probably be using a single internal heater, as opposed to two inline heaters. I do not want to sacrifice filtration power just so I can use inline heaters, and all the inline heaters I looked at had fittings smaller than the tubing of the canister filters I am planning on using. I was also concerned that 600 watts of heating wasn't enough. I will probably go with a single Finnex 800 watt titanium heater with an external temperature controller.