Inline heaters vs internal heaters

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I will hopefully be setting up my 180 gallon tank soon, but I'm going to be setting it up in the furnace room, which isn't heated. I initially estimated a 30 degree Fahrenheit difference between the room temperature and the desired tank temperature, and according to the calculation based on that figure, I would need 1200 watts of heating, but I got a digital room temperature thermometer and even though it snowed all today, the room only got down to about 65 degrees, so I'm thinking I'll probably need around 600 watts of heat. I have been thinking about what kind of heater I will use, what are your thoughts on inline heaters? I have never used an inline heater before, but I like them, because I think the tank looks better without the heater in it. The tank is drilled with an overflow in each corner, and I am planning on having two canister filters, one for each overflow, so I am thinking about putting a 300 watt inline heater on each filter return. Has anyone here used inline heaters? If so, what did you think of them?

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I have decided that I will probably be using a single internal heater, as opposed to two inline heaters. I do not want to sacrifice filtration power just so I can use inline heaters, and all the inline heaters I looked at had fittings smaller than the tubing of the canister filters I am planning on using. I was also concerned that 600 watts of heating wasn't enough. I will probably go with a single Finnex 800 watt titanium heater with an external temperature controller.

Professor_fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
I use both incase one fails, but the thermo filters are a mixed blessing, they can lower the bacterial count

Professor_fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
I have decided that I will probably be using a single internal heater, as opposed to two inline heaters. I do not want to sacrifice filtration power just so I can use inline heaters, and all the inline heaters I looked at had fittings smaller than the tubing of the canister filters I am planning on using. I was also concerned that 600 watts of heating wasn't enough. I will probably go with a single Finnex 800 watt titanium heater with an external temperature controller.
Even on my 8 x 3 x 2 tanks I only use 5 100W heaters

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I am just unsure if inline heaters would be as efficient at transferring the heat to the water as internal heaters, but I don't know.

Professor_fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
You want enough power to raise the tank by 2C max an hour, in rare cases you add more when needed, but general rule is aim for 2C an hour

Professor_fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Inline heaters tend to kill the pipe bacteria and they are the first ones to set up a colony

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I'm still a ways away from being able to get my 180 gallon set up, I need to wire a new outlet for it in the furnace room, and assemble a stand, and replace the cracked top braces.

Professor_fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Use a few smaller internal heaters preferably in a sump, because everyone uses a sump filter on large tanks done they ;). never put internal heaters in a large tank! fish get burnt easy

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I think the Finnex titanium heaters come with plastic guards to keep fish from getting burnt.