Intro

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by duaneS, Dec 6, 2016.

1. duaneS

duaneS Celestial pearl danio New member

I've been a member of MFK for along time, and received a message from CarpCharacin to check this site out. I have been a fish keeper since the late 1950s, keeping mostly cichlids, and worked as a water chemist/microbiologist. I'm a bit conservative about water quality preferring to do 30% water changes on my tanks every other day if possible (being a water chemist may sway my conservatism), in WI all my water change water was sent to my gardens spring thru fall, as I had about 3000 gallons in indoor tanks and pools, and another 2000 gallons in ponds outside. The rule of tank size with required to fish size I try to follow is 10 gallons for every inch of adult fish (I'm not talking about fish numbers).
    An example would be to me, for a 55 gallon tank, maybe 5 x 5.5" fish, or in a 100 gal, 3 x 10" fish. Population depending on filtration etc etc.
    I'm originally from Wisconsin but retired about a year ago to Panama. I really enjoy taking GoPro movies of cichlids in nature, which was one of my motivations for relocating to Panama.
    I will post some of my former fish, and movies in the gallery section

2. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio Administrator Fish mentor

Welcome! Thanks for checking my site out.

3. Ozzy47

Ozzy47 German blue ram Fish guru

4. LizStreithorst

LizStreithorst Celestial pearl danio New member

Hi. Carp found me as Simply Discus and invited me here.

I don't know if we agree or disagree on WC and tank stocking. My tanks are generally overstocked but I change water every day and I change way more water than you. All my 24 tanks are BB although I have a 125 display tank at my shop.

5. Aquatic Endeavors

Aquatic Endeavors German blue ram Fish guru

USA
    Welcome To UFK :)

6. Fish

Fish German blue ram Fish guru

Welcome