Is a saltwater tank too expensive ?

Ratings
short answer is "NO"

It can be, depending on how you approach the hobby, meaning do you listen to a lot of marine geeks tell you absolutely have to have every expensive gadget in the universe to keep saltwater fish, or do you start off slow, learn as you go and have a saltwater tank today ? :)

My first saltwater setup consisted manly of what i already had, which was a tank, filter, heater, light etc.

I did buy some pre-seeded substrate from a friend that owns an aquculture facility, as well as some dry rock, and a few pieces of premium fiji live rock to provide some nice coralline encrusted coral skeleton rock, some instant ocean, and thats about it.

Because of using items that came from an established system, i was able to add a couple of small fishes and a few cleanup crew inverts within a few days.

That system ran for about 5 years trouble free, and i was now a marine aquarium hobbyist on a budget :)

Ratings
When you get ready let me know i will be glad to offer pointers, there are many ways to go, some more expensive than others. :)

Professor_fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
I have got rid of most of my marine tanks for now. I am waiting to do the house up as we moved a couple of years ago.

But I have 2 left and a jelly fish drum tank. The pic that looks a bit odd is actually the filter sump!! I never clean it out so fish and everything else ended up growing in it!! but it is actually the first chamber of the filter sump.

The last pic is the sump!! the jelly tank is round and only has the four in.
DSC02132.jpg
DSC02133.jpg
DSC02137.jpg
DSC02223.jpg
DSC02182.jpg
DSC02240.jpg

Professor_fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
Yes, I was doing a study on them 5-6 years ago and got hooked. I only have the one tank now as they are a PITA to keep, the tank has to be round like a washing machine drum, this is so you can keep the jelly fish moving constantly. You need side injected filtration so the water moves around the edge in a circle.