Is it Ethical?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Professor_fish, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Professor_fish

Professor_fish German blue ram Fish guru

In light of modern times and the declaration that the Great Barrier reef is dead, do you think it is still ethical to keep/collect tropical saltwater species harvested from the wild? What are your opinions on collection of so called 'live rock' from reefs?

Take into consideration how long such rock/coral takes to grow.
    See if you can come up with reasons to support your stance, i would love to see some open discussion on this.

2. Angelphish

Angelphish Bolivian ram Well-known Member

Georgia
    As long as you have an aquarium that can replicate the natural environment, then yes. I also wouldn't recommend it with tanks less than 200 U.S. gallons, unless it's a very small species like dwarf puffers.

3. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Rainbow cichlid Administrator Fish mentor

Sure the fish may be fine, but what about the environment?

4. Angelphish

Georgia
    Depends on the demand of the fish. If only a few hundred are taken per year I see no issue. Taking larger numbers will likely screw some food chain up somewhere.

5. CarpCharacin

But what about taking coral?

6. Angelphish

Georgia
    Coral on the other hand, I'd say no.

7. Professor_fish

Not so much these days but back in the 90's it was common practice to poison reefs with cyanide!. Any fish that didnt die straight away were collected and sold, it is never a couple of hundred fish sadly. And again although its technically banned, people still harvest live rock/reef with dynamite.......

For me i got uncomfortable using live Rock, i use the same stuff they make gas fire inserts out of, the stuff like a white extremely light tile. No idea what the stuff is but its extremely light and porous, we have a local company that can somehow produce the effect we want if we supply molds for them. We have mini reefs built this way.

I have also cut way back on marine stuff, i have no real objection to what others do, but i know what the damage is and how things are done, i am no longer comfortable being a part of that.

8. CarpCharacin

Yeah I am definitely against poisoning reefs with cyanide. I know it isn't as common as it once was, but do people still do that to this day?

9. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Celestial pearl danio New member

Canada
    There are plenty captive propagated corals on the marked without taking from the reefs.

10. Professor_fish

Unfortunately large reefs are blown apart still. Cyanide is still used in places. I dived in the maldives 4 years ago, on a protected reef. It was heart breaking to see the gaps. I cant dive anymore, just as well i guess.

11. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Celestial pearl danio New member

Canada
    Agreed, I wouldnt want to see that, but again Mother Nature has her own means, and eventually she will heal, once the human destructor is extinct. :D

12. Aquatic Endeavors

Aquatic Endeavors German blue ram Fish guru

USA
    Thats a fact :)

13. Dennis Tracey

Dennis Tracey Celestial pearl danio New member

I am torn between only having culture coral and fish and buying wild caught fish. I have determined that the drawf seahorses I got two weeks ago are wild caught, as were the ricodia corals from off the Florida coast. I doubt I will be buying from this dealer again. But what’s done is done. However Live Aquaria also deals with wild caught fish, and has a Divers Den that appears to be wild collected corals. I plan to stay with fragged corral. Wild collected coral is instantly gratifying but decimates nature, and artificial live rock is available for having little critters live in. Nuff said.