It has begun!!!

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Woke up this morning to my first snail clutch completely hatched. They are SO CUTE! I forgot how adorable they are! They are almost microscopic. I can barely see their details with the naked eye, so I'm impressed that my phone camera was able to get a semi-clear photo of one. Since they're so itty bitty (and currently clear), I'm not sure what colors I've got in this clutch. Time will tell! And now, the insanity of constant water changes begins! I've got two more clutches in this tank (blues & ivories), and two more in my purple & magenta tank. My jades & goldens haven't started laying yet. Almost makes me wonder if I've got all boys in that tank. I'm super stoked about these adorable babies, but now I've got to find a big, dirt-cheap tank to set up as a growout, and see if any of the local stores are willing to buy them, before I have a thousand snails I can't find homes for. Guess it's time to start making Snello! :)

20180326_123421.jpg
20180326_123542.jpg

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Took a video of them, waiting patiently for it to upload. If I turn on the video camera and zoom in, I can actually see colors on them which I can't see with my own two eyeballs. Looks as though most (if not all) of them are ivory and blue. Which I expected, since their mom is ivory, and their dad was (most likely) blue. Have I mentioned how adorable they are?! The blue ones just have pale speckles of blue on their shells, but they'll color up quickly. Looking forward to seeing if there are any magentas or other colors in the bunch when they get bigger and I can actually SEE them! :) *twiddles my thumbs while video uploads*

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Here you go! :) The Ivory in the back is their mother.

Last edited:

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
First breakfast with their mommy! (Who is stealing the algae wafer I dropped in for the babies... Mean mom!
20180326_135221.jpg
)

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Sucks that I was going to clean the substrate on that tank today, knowing that babies were going to hatch soon and I wouldn't be able to and.... Yeah, now that's not gonna happen. Ignore my disgusting substrate!! :D

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
They are! I have to get my act together and get the purples' tank cleaned out today, because their first clutch should be hatching any day, and then set up the tank I have in my closet. They aren't going to be big enough, but until I can get my paws on a big tank, they'll have to do! :)

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Getting bigger, you can now tell the blues from the whites with the naked eye. :)
20180405_125710.jpg

Here are some on the glass.

20180405_125116.jpg

And one of the baby blues learning how to vacuum feed at the surface. :)

20180405_125006.jpg

I also had my first batch in the Magenta & Purple tank hatch out today... Here's one dropping into the water from the clutch.

20180405_123624.jpg

And first baby Magenta having an algae breakfast. :)

20180405_123540.jpg

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
My plants have been outgrowing my tank like crazy. I was thinking about yanking a bunch up and giving them away, but while the snails won't eat healthy plants, they do like dying plants, so I've been chopping the clippings up for them as snacks. The tank looks a little messy with plant bits floating around, but it's a nice, cheap way to feed all those babies and get rid of the plants I don't want at the same time! :)