Koi jumped out of pond

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I just found my largest koi on the ground outside, he jumped out of the pond :cry:. He was the last of my 3 original koi that I had in my 55 gallon tank before I built the pond. He was a really pretty fish, he was mostly black, but he was orange on the bottom. R.I.P. I wonder why he jumped, I recently added one of my Plecos into the pond, but I don't think the Pleco would go after the largest koi.

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
Thanks. I topped off the pond the other day, now I wish I hadn't. Maybe he wouldn't have been able to jump out :(.

Protim Sarkar

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Thanks. I topped off the pond the other day, now I wish I hadn't. Maybe he wouldn't have been able to jump out :(.
Have you covered the pond with a net ? I think it will be best to increase the height of the walls of the pond. Two of my YouTube friends did the same thing after their Koi's jumped out of water.

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I might cover it with a net. The pond is half above ground and half below ground, the upper half of the pond is made out of wood and there is a pond liner, so it would be really difficult to make it higher, because I would have to swap the entire liner with a new one. I'm going to be moving soon anyway, so I plan on building a larger pond at the new house.