Last and final addition to the tank

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
My tank is finally complete with my last addition. Got 3 of these cuties. Great little algae eaters, if you want an algae eater that doesn't get too big, give them a try, I was hesitant about getting them just because I have read about how sensitive they are, but so far they seem to be doing awesome, and are fairly active. If you do get them though I highly suggest buying them from Fish 4 U.
18879950_10154737638235888_2193089057707401070_o.jpg
otocinclus

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
I've kept Otos in a well established tank with zero nitrate and plenty of algae to graze on. They all died one at a time. Good luck.

Anders247

Congo tetra
Administrator
Forum Veteran
Reaction score
I'd get 3 more, they do better in groups. They can be pretty sensitive as Angelphish mentioned.

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
I'd get 3 more, they do better in groups. They can be pretty sensitive as Angelphish mentioned.
Yeah I am defiantly thinking of adding a few more. So far they seem to be doing good so far just hopefully they continue to.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Yeah I am defiantly thinking of adding a few more. So far they seem to be doing good so far just hopefully they continue to.
My Otos didn't die until I had them for a few months. Any problems they had always took a while before they went into effect.

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
My Otos didn't die until I had them for a few months. Any problems they had always took a while before they went into effect.
Yeah I have heard that most die after a month, but if they made it past a month or 2 they live for almost 10 years.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Yeah I have heard that most die after a month, but if they made it past a month or 2 they live for almost 10 years.
The problem with Otos is that most are wild caught, and a large percentage of the wild caught Otos have internal parasites, and the stress from shipping doesn't help either.

Hopefully you have better luck.

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
I've kept Otos in a well established tank with zero nitrate and plenty of algae to graze on. They all died one at a time. Good luck.
The problem with Otos is that most are wild caught, and a large percentage of the wild caught Otos have internal parasites, and the stress from shipping doesn't help either.

Hopefully you have better luck.
So far I have lost one , just found him floating on the top. I checked my water and everything was fine there.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
So far I have lost one , just found him floating on the top. I checked my water and everything was fine there.
The best thing you can do is let them die off. They're too expensive to have to constantly replace.

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
The best thing you can do is let them die off. They're too expensive to have to constantly replace.
Yeah, so far the pair is doing great, but if they die off I think I will definitely not replace. Good thing is two of them have lasted a week, so I might have some hope.

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Looks like the otos are looking full, and the two have still survived, I am thinking of trying a few more but waiting until I know these two survive a month.
19059431_10154761255745888_1036313338274291726_n.jpg