Live plants

Thread starter #1

SFhobbyist

Celestial pearl danio
Ratings
Hello all,

I am newly returning to the freshwater hobby. I broke away and did saltwater for a while but now I am back and excited for my new hobby and adventure.

I have had freshwater aquariums all my life until I went to saltwater a few years ago so I am pretty well versed in what I need/what to do. The one thing I have never done is raise live plants in the aquarium, though. I have always had plastic ones, so I am hoping to get some help on that.

I have a 90 gallon tall tank that I am looking to have live plants in. When I say tall, it is 36 inches deep. I have LED lighting that does really well and makes the tank look pretty bright but I am not sure it is going to get enough light to the bottom to allow plants to grow as needed (from what I have read). So here is where my questions begin. I do have some aquarium decorations for the kids, as they like them, so it will be a mixture of live plants and decorations.

First, does anyone know of a way to boost the light so there is enough for the bottom of the tank?

Second, another option would be to build up some rock or something a foot or so in a couple places so that I can plant some of those plants at that level (or higher if needed). Would that work? If so, does anyone know where I could collect slate or something similar here in Utah that would work well in an aquarium and how to get it ready before adding it? I like the look of slate but if there are other options that may look nice I am certainly happy to listen to those ideas as well. I do not want to spend much on rocks for this if it is not necessary.

Third, would plants that need lower level lighting work in my tank at the 36 inch deep level?

Fourth, what types of plants would you suggest in my tank?

Fifth, when I am ready to add fish (after having the rocks in, some plants in, and it cycling as needed again), what recommendations of fish would you give?

Thank you for your help.

Thread starter #3

SFhobbyist

Celestial pearl danio
Ratings
I am open to any kind. Easy ones to care for preferably. Some I have looked at are java ferns, amazon sword, wisteria, anubias, cryptocorn, etc. I really am very open.