Mixing Black Diamond blasting sand and pool filter sand?

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
Has anyone mixed Black Diamond sand with Pool Filter sand? I've seen tanks with black and white sand before, but I'm not sure if it would work with Black Diamond blasting sand and pool filter sand. The black diamond stuff seems finer than the pool filter sand.

Anders247

Congo tetra
Administrator
Forum Veteran
Reaction score
I've never done it, but I don't see what the problem would be if you want that look.

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing it when I set up my 180, but I'm just a little worried about the sand separating, since the black diamond sand is finer than the pool filter sand. If I just use one kind of sand, which kind do you think will look the best?

Last edited:
  • Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
Black diamond for sure.
I'm not sure, I used pool filter sand in one of my 40 gallon tanks with my frontosas, and it looks good. Also, the black diamond sand gets into the filter on my 75, but I'm probably going to have a sump on the 180 because it has overflows, so I don't think that would be a problem. I'm planning on having a Jardini Arowana in the tank, so you think the black diamond will look better? Most of the tanks with Arowanas that I've seen use light colored sand.

Anders247

Congo tetra
Administrator
Forum Veteran
Reaction score
Fish tend to show more color when against a black background and substrate, so yes, black would be preferred.