NERITES. >:(

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Okay, so I used to breed Briggs. Totally dug them, they were great, yada yada. This is the first time I have ever had Nerites. At first I was like, "Yay, so pretty, me want." And then I got them home and remembered why I hadn't bought them in the past. All the &*^&^%^% eggs!!! I'm to the point right now where I want to set up an aquarium JUST for Nerites. Totally blank tank. Feed the crap out of them. Then the happy ones that start laying eggs get given away to people who don't mind that ridiculousness, or tossed into fry growout tanks or something that I care more about the water quality than the aesthetics of. And ONLY move the males to my main tanks. Seriously, how does one deal with this ridiculous tank decorating of sesame seeds?! My jerkface Betta eats them. At least I assume he does, because she lays them, and then they slowly disappear. But he's not handling all of them, and I'm feeling frustrated with the eggs. Thinking I should have just gone with Briggs again! It's a shame that they're so pretty. Does anyone here have Nerites? How do you handle the egg issue?

Anders247

Congo tetra
Administrator
Forum Veteran
Reaction score
To be honest, when I had them, they laid eggs all over my tank, then the eggs slowly disappeared and they never laid eggs again. Not sure if this is the case every time but it did happen for me.
You could always have a brackish water tank for them and raise the young, you'd probably make money if you sold them.

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
I thought breeding them could be cool, so I searched all over the net to find info on it. Looks like they breed in brackish, then you need to take your tank to full salt, and then make a transition back to fresh over a certain period of time, but not many people (if any?) had actually done it successfully, and most local-bred Nerites only seemed to live for like a year max? If you've got more info, I'd love some!! I've bred Briggs, but those are just as hard as, "Put colors you like together, let them breed, do tons of water changes and feed the babies a bunch, then sell when they're big enough."