New 20 gallon

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Today is a good day to get plants. Your tank is begging for them.

If you can't find all the plants you're looking for locally, Amazon has a good selection.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
I'm still not sure what plants I am going to get. How much fish food should I be adding?
Just 3-5 pellets a day. Nothing much.

Look on Tropica.com. They have a large selection of high demanding plants, so you can get an idea of what you want. If your lfs sells Tropica plants, then they should have most of the plants on the website.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I have been very busy rebuilding my pond filter. Once done, I will decide on plants for the 20 gallon. I am starting to reconsider the idea of building a controller to automate the lighting and air pump :ROFLMAO:.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
I have been very busy rebuilding my pond filter. Once done, I will decide on plants for the 20 gallon. I am starting to reconsider the idea of building a controller to automate the lighting and air pump :ROFLMAO:.
If you have time to spend on this forum, then you have time to look at plants online.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Have you at least decided on something other than the baby tears and flame sword?

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I am going to order the fertilizer from petmountain, they don't have plants ;). I plan to order the plants once the fertilizer comes, because the shipping time for the fertilizer will be longer than the plants.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
I am going to order the fertilizer from petmountain, they don't have plants ;). I plan to order the plants once the fertilizer comes, because the shipping time for the fertilizer will be longer than the plants.
Order Tropica fertilizer from BigAlsPets.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I wasn't able to order the fertilizer on the 3rd, but I am going to order it soon. Do I need to do water changes on the tank while it has no fish or plants, or just keep adding food?

Last edited:

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
I wasn't able to order the fertilizer on the 3rd, but I am going to order it soon. Do I need to do water changes on the tank while it has no fish or plants, or just keep adding food?
The plants will take care of any bad parameters.

You've been making us wait a long time to see the tank. I hope you'll have something nice made out of it.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
For plants, I plan to get dwarf baby tears, two fllame swords, Staurogyne repens, rotala wallichii and Alternanthera reineckii.

For fish I plan to get 6 Asian stone cats, 6 Scarlet Badis, Blue Diamond Shrimp and 10 Celestial Pearl Danios.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
For plants, I plan to get dwarf baby tears, two fllame swords, Staurogyne repens, rotala wallichii and Alternanthera reineckii.

For fish I plan to get 6 Asian stone cats, 6 Scarlet Badis, Blue Diamond Shrimp and 10 Celestial Pearl Danios.
How many Blue Diamonds? 10? 20? You want to start with those, so they can colonize. Once you start to see baby shrimp, you can buy the fish.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
How many Blue Diamonds? 10? 20? You want to start with those, so they can colonize. Once you start to see baby shrimp, you can buy the fish.
10. You told me before to get the shrimp after the tank had been established for several months because they feed off of biofilm.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
10. You told me before to get the shrimp after the tank had been established for several months because they feed off of biofilm.
Correct. It will probably take a year or more for the tank to be finished - all fish stocked and plants filled in.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Baby tears grow slowly. It takes a while for them to grow in. I've had my Monte Carlo for about a month and it still hasn't completely filled in yet, and it's a fast growing plant. I wouldn't be surprised if your baby tears took 3-6 months to fill in since they grow slowly.