New 20 gallon

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by CarpCharacin, Apr 26, 2017.

1. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Rainbow cichlid Administrator Fish mentor

I'm going to Fish 4 U today to get spider wood for the aquascape.

2. Angelphish

Angelphish Bolivian ram Well-known Member

Georgia
    Make sure it's no wider than 12" or else you'll have to trim it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. CarpCharacin

OK, I will.

4. CarpCharacin

I got a piece that is over 12 inches long, but less than 12 inches front to back, so it will fit inside of the tank. Here is a picture:
    IMG_20170714_182437187.jpg

5. Angelphish

Georgia
    That's an interesting looking piece. You could place it in your tank, and move it around to see how you like it best.

Don't put it in the center though. Aquascapes actually look worse with symmetry. Place it on either the left or right side, although it doesn't have to be placed against the side of the tank.

That piece may look best with the smaller growths of wood underneath the base, allowing fish to swim under it.

6. CarpCharacin

I'm thinking about placing it on the left in the direction it is in the photo, so it looks more like a spider.
    [​IMG]
    82de54b16df571b29f689fea0ff77682--giant-huntsman-spider-pest-control.jpg
    Edit: I put it in the tank, but it is floating.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  7. CarpCharacin

8. Angelphish

Georgia
    Where ever you like.

9. CarpCharacin

Doesn't the co2 need to be fine tuned? Won't I have to do that every day, since I will have the air pump on at night? What if I go on vacation?

10. Angelphish

Georgia
    That's why you should have bought a 5lb canister with a solinoid valve. Then all you would have to do is plug it in each morning and unplug it each night. If you go on vacation, leave the co2 and aerator on, I've done this and my plants and fish did fine.

11. CarpCharacin

But I didn't, so what should I do?

12. Angelphish

Georgia
    Buy one and sell the fluval kit.

13. CarpCharacin

I'm going to try to sell the fluval kit on craigslist. I ordered an aquatek solenoid from ebay and a 5lb canister with the correct valve.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  14. CarpCharacin

I haven't put a rock on the spiderwood, but it looks like it's starting to sink.

15. CarpCharacin

My co2 regulator and solenoid came today.
    IMG_20170723_152806786.jpg

16. CarpCharacin

My co2 tank came today!
    15010079469611943314441.jpg

17. CarpCharacin

Should I set up the co2 before I order the plants, or set it up when I'm aquascaping the tank?

18. Angelphish

Georgia
    Once you have the plants. As long as you have good circulation, it won't take long for it to start working.

19. CarpCharacin

I got the co2 tank back today, but I still don't have co2 tubing. Where should I get it?

20. CarpCharacin

I found a place that sells co2 tubing, I'm going to order it soon. The spiderwoood has finally sunk, but some debris is collecting in the tank and in the filter. Should I clean it out, or leave it for when I get the plants?

21. CarpCharacin

Today I ordered the co2 tubing, along with some extra nylon washers from Green Leaf Aquariums.

22. CarpCharacin

My co2 tubing came today, now all I need to order is the reefkeeper lite controller before I can get plants.
    15027545135471129897342.jpg

23. CarpCharacin

I decided to go with individual timers instead of a controller, because they are cheaper and more practical. I had a hard time finding a power strip that would fit all three timers, but I ended up finding one that worked.
    Here is a picture:
    IMG_20170819_170636714.jpg
    I also decided that I'm not going to do red flame swords in the aquarium, I'm going to be ordering the plants soon.

24. CarpCharacin

I forgot to add fish food for a little while, but I'm now adding it daily. Do you think it's still cycled? I have been busy recently, but I'm still planning on ordering the plants soon.

25. CarpCharacin

We are going to be painting my bedroom soon, then I will order plants. Sorry I keep putting it off, LOL.

26. SilverFlame819

SilverFlame819 Neon tetra Member

I just want to give props to everyone who's been following on this thread for MONTHS. The suspense made me want to tear out my hair, and I read the whole thread in like 5 minutes! *lol*

How in the WORLD do you have a tank up and going for MONTHS and not put something in it?! OMG, I could never!! *lol* You must have the patience of a saint.

I was looking through tanks on KSL today and a few people were selling their "extra" tank. Extra tank??? I've never even heard of such a thing! A tank in your house that you PURPOSELY have nothing in?! That's crazy talk! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  27. CarpCharacin

LOL, I have just been busy recently, and the plants for the tank will probably be pretty expensive. A few years ago, fish used to literally be my top priority, they used to come above everything else. That has changed in the past few years, now I have chickens, and other stuff I have to do. I have several empty tanks, but I have plans for them. I have an empty 75 that my haps will be going in soon, and I have two empty 40 gallon breeders and a 55 that I'm going to use as fry tanks for when I start breeding haps when I move.

Anyway, I just need to find a website that sells the plants I want, since they don't have them at Fish 4 U.

28. SilverFlame819

Have you looked @ AquaBid? There are times when I find a huge variety of plants at Petco and Petsmart, and other times, it's a barren wasteland. Whenever I'm picking up fish food, I glance through their stock. I have a tiny tank with some Asian Water Fern in it right now, but I want to find something tiny (ground cover-ish) to go in there as well. It'll be another Betta tank, or a shrimp tank. Having a hard time finding really nice shrimp like the ones I used to have though. (Isn't that how it always is??)

29. CarpCharacin

No, I haven't looked at aquabid, but I will. I doubt they will have the plants at PetSmart or Petco, because the plants I want are high light plants, and most of the plants they have there are medium to low light plants.

30. SilverFlame819

I currently have like 10 different types of plants in my tanks, but they're "You live in these water parameters, or die" varieties. Because I'm lazy, and when I start having to use special lights and plant food and co2, noooope. *lol* So I seriously never even looked at the packaging to see what it said they required. I just bought the ones I liked, and put them in my tanks. Looked like one variety was giving up the ghost, but then it sprang back to life. I think when they go from "pampered life" to "Angela's tanks" they have a bit of culture shock, but then they usually get their act together and start growing. I have an Asian water fern that hasn't seen a light bulb since the day I bought it. I keep telling myself I need to turn the lights on and get that tank going, but... maybe tomorrow. *lol* I can't believe that thing is still alive! No lights, no fish, no fish food, nothing. It just keeps going. It's been living on plain ole water (not even filtered or heated) for probably 2 months now. Poor thing. I'm terrible.

31. CarpCharacin

I know I haven't made much progress on the tank recently, but I'm going on a trip to Canada in November, and I'm planning on working on planting the tank when I get back.