New aquarium.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Kessil lights are cool. Do they make any for just general tank lighting, or do they just make them for planted tanks and reefs?
They can be used either way. Once I save up the money I plan to use four on my 210 for general lighting along with low light plants.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I am not sure if I can do a stock tank stingray pond, but if I can, I will use Kessil lights. My favorite kind of aquarium light used to be Marineland lights, but they corrode and stop working after time.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
I'm amazed at how quickly these plants are growing... Only one day passed between these two pictures.
Screenshot_2016-12-01-17-43-14.jpg
Screenshot_2016-12-01-17-46-19.jpg

Professor_fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Angel watch your Magnesium carefully, do you have the API master test kit? You need to watch phosphate, this will tell you if Magnesium is getting low.

A good sign is if the leaves start to look transparent, at that point they are in trouble, best way is 70% water change then 3 days later add Magnesium Nitrate, aim for 25ppm nitrate using Magnesium Nitrate.

CO2 strips all micro nutrients out quickly.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Angel watch your Magnesium carefully, do you have the API master test kit? You need to watch phosphate, this will tell you if Magnesium is getting low.

A good sign is if the leaves start to look transparent, at that point they are in trouble, best way is 70% water change then 3 days later add Magnesium Nitrate, aim for 25ppm nitrate using Magnesium Nitrate.

CO2 strips all micro nutrients out quickly.
Do you think that may be one of the reasons I'm having issues cycling the tank? It converts nitrite fine but not ammonia.

Professor_fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
No, normally that is a sign that the CO2 is too high and PH too low. I know you have a CO2 indicator but they are very rough guides. Do a Ph test and GH test.

I would make sure the PH is around 6.8 until your cycled. Lower PH means the bacteria will strugle to get hold. NITRITE bacteria are more tolerant of low PH. If your in a cycle the bacteria for Ammonia are really slow at PH6 and bellow (around 42 hours per division), dosnt matter so much once they are established.

Normally plants take care of Ammonia before it gets near the filter, but you dont have enough plants to take care of it all, i would guess your filter is really slow because of a low PH.

Test PH and GH, it might mean you need to cut back on CO2 for a couple of weeks, your plant growth suggest you have alot of CO2, i know the indicator is green, but i wouldnt trust it much.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Any tips for bringing out the red in my Rotala? It's just green right now.

My pH was around 6-6.2, so I lowered the amount of co2 I'm dosing by a lot and added pH buffers.

Professor_fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
The Rotala likes a bit of shade, not much though. Wait for it to settle a little, the PH rise will speed the filter up a bit. 6 is a bit low for a cycle. Off the top of my head i think that works out at around 39.6 hours per binary fission for the bacteria.
You should see it improve a bit now, dont forget Nitro bacteria et al are not the first Nitrogen munchers when a cycle starts, they take over roughly 8 days in.

I got some papers on it somewhere i will look them out.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
My Golden lloydiella is perling, so I assume that means I'm doing something right.

Professor_fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
yep it is looking great, i notice the CO2 looks a bit high flow wise. Cut it back a little more

Professor_fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Do you have Gh and Kh test kits Angel? I have a CO2 chart based on the readings, its pretty accurate and gives you the optimum Ph to aim for depending on the Gh and Kh reading. I will dig it out

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Do you have Gh and Kh test kits Angel? I have a CO2 chart based on the readings, its pretty accurate and gives you the optimum Ph to aim for depending on the Gh and Kh reading. I will dig it out
I have the kits but I'm to lazy to go find them and use them on top of that...

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Update time ~
Current plants are Monte Carlo, Staurogyne repens, Alternanthera reineckii, Rotala wallichii, and Rotala macrandra. Current stock is 3 Platies, 1 Stiphodon semoni, and 1 Stiphodon rutilaureus.
20170622_153405.jpg

Stiphodon semoni
20170624_153344.jpg

Stiphodon rutilaureus
20170625_184640.jpg
20170625_184741.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: