PANNIC! HELP my guppy has white spots on it!!

Discussion in 'Aquatic Health/Diseases' started by Professor_fish, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Professor_fish

Professor_fish German blue ram Fish guru

Emergency my guppy has some little white spots on what should i do??
    P1010128.jpg

This is my guppy, he was fine a few days ago before i did a water change. I changed 40% of the water and used chlorine conditioner. A few days later he had white spots on, so what can I do?

RELAX
    This is not my fish, my fish are fine! But the above is typical of the kind of posts forums get. Before we go on a few words about this posts.

First of all this is not a post designed to make anyone look silly, it is designed to make people stop and think. I also hope it will demonstrate a few problems you face when dealing with disease in an aquarium you dont have direct access to.

I am also hoping it will make people see things differently.

Take this seriously even though its a spoof post, i have a disease in mind but its your job to work out what it is (could be the obvious or could be something common but not obvious), and tell me how best to deal with it.

We will do this in real time, so you have roughly 48- 72 hours to help save the fish. After that the situation is likely to spiral out of control.

I will answer questions truthfully, but i wont volunteer information. This means you will need to ask the right questions to get the right information.

Be warned, while this is a set up the situation does come up alot. I hope you enjoy it and by the way the pic is actually of the disease.

So ask away and help save Arnold and friends.
    Good Luck.

2. Angelphish

Angelphish Bolivian ram Well-known Member

Georgia
    What are your water parameters?

3. Professor_fish

I will go test brb.............TA (NH3+NH4)= 1.2ppm NO2 = 0.5ppm NO3= 25ppm. Ph= 6.9 cant test for GH etc ;).

Water temp although you didnt ask is 82f. What should i do??

4. Professor_fish

A couple of other fish are looking a bit sick, they are flicking on things, please please help me. What is the problem? what can I do, they are all gonna die and its your fault.

5. Angelphish

Georgia
    The tank isn't fully cycled. The ammonia and nitrite are bothering the fish, which is why they are rubbing on the decor. Get Seachem Stability and follow the directions written on the bottle. It should speed the process.

6. Angelphish

Georgia
    Along with that I believe the fish has ich. I've found that the ich treatments at my lfs work pretty well, as I've used them with ich.

7. Professor_fish

Which treatments should i use?

8. Professor_fish

Anyone else got any ideas??

[ at the end lets take the posts apart and see what we can learn and apply here for the future. Hopefully others will join in]

9. Angelphish

Georgia
    I used Tetra and API, but I've heard kordon rid ich is about the best you can get.

10. Professor_fish

Ok i will goto the LFS later and buy some. I will let you know how it goes........Some time passes

11. Angelphish

Georgia
    If you want a tank full of living fish then buy it now.

12. Professor_fish

I will, i live 40 miles away from a LFS!

13. Professor_fish

Ok i have added some Tetra stuff, will see what it does hopefully.

14. Professor_fish

* side note

I am amazed they sell any product in USA like Kordon! I assumed anything remotely transformable into a drug was banned? The class of compounds Kordon is based on can be tweaked to make morphine like drugs fairly easily although yield is not great.

I am not sure of the legality in the UK, its a grey area but you couldnt use it on a fish farm, the main concern would be environmental impact from using a large amount.

For the purpose of this thread i wont be using it....I will explain why later.

15. Professor_fish

Ok i added some, i also noticed one of my other fish has a white patch on it!! The first guppy in the pic has also developped the same patches, do i keep treating with this Ich stuff?

More fish are flicking now and i am getting worried (wish Jim was here to save me :D)

sjuk.jpg

16. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Rainbow cichlid Administrator Fish mentor

Looks like ich. What jim are you talking about? Joey is the guy with 200,000 youtube subscribers. Jim is a forum troll. You could either use the kordon rid ich plus, or salt.

17. Professor_fish

Right now read the thread properly and try again!

18. CarpCharacin

I read a lot of it.

19. Professor_fish

Did you read the bit i said i couldnt/wouldnt be using Kordon?

20. Professor_fish

Ok how much salt?

21. Professor_fish

Ok but seems alot of salt to me, BRB just going to try it.

22. Professor_fish

I only managed to get a few kilos in the tank, dosnt matter now anyway all my fish are dead!!

Thanks alot for the help :(

23. CarpCharacin

900 pounds of salt will revive them

24. Angelphish

Georgia
    @CarpCharacin Congrats.

25. CarpCharacin

2 teaspoons per gallon would be the correct ammount.

26. Professor_fish

We have done things like this at work alot, we test each other constantly for when we go to fish farms etc. Living and working in Scotland means alot of the GDP up here comes from Salmon farms etc, Fish generate huge sums of money and getting it right matters.

You can learn alot from exercises like this, if done properly you can also grow your site. Keep in mind 70-80% of people landing on the site are looking for solutions to problems, so before they sign up they browse and take a mental image of your site and knowledge.

Before i dissect the thread for you tell me what you think could be improved?

And before i explain what you missed the disease was actually Tetrahymena or guppy disease, its far more common than you realize and nearly 99% of the time misdiagnosed, the organism is also present naturally in just about EVERY single aquarium!

27. Professor_fish

Bit late now you killed my fish!

28. CarpCharacin

It was fake :rolleyes:

29. Professor_fish

You need to take it seriously, most the people coming here will be in one of two camps, those that want to answer questions and those that what to ask them. How they perceive the advice really matters.

30. CarpCharacin

I want to answer them. I don't want to be a noob.

31. Professor_fish

Isnt the point, i told you take it seriously, i am trying to get you to improve the site and get ready for when things pick up.

32. CarpCharacin

Will things even pick up?

33. Professor_fish

So how can you improve things?

Look at what you missed and what information may have helped you get to the right answer. One of the big things that helps is a standard disease report form.

i would spend time working on a form and getting those that need help help to fill it in, most wont bother to fill it all out but that dosnt matter. Amongst other things, having a standard form helps you remember what to ask, it also acts as a check list.

I will do another post like this one soon, but first lets take this one apart.

34. Professor_fish

No not at the moment.

35. CarpCharacin

But will my site pick up? It isn't very active right now.

36. CarpCharacin

So why are you making posts like this if the site will always be dead?

37. Professor_fish

Good question for a change, one reason is i am killing time while i sort out my site and the project i am setting up local to me.

the other reason is i havnt given up on you yet, but i am close.......

Sort your attitude out! Start taking the site seriously, start trying to learn and stop fussing over nonsense and things that dont matter.

You have some golden chances if you wake up and realize where everything could lead.

If it was me i would use my age, by accident you have managed to turn your age to your advantage, you should capitalize on it.

Take the TV thing, they did it because cute kids get awws off viewers its a sort of feel good story. You wont understand this until you have your own kids. The point is though you have a foot in the door so use it.

I would be working like mad to build the site, i would milk it as much as i could. Do you realize that if you did a decent job there is no reason you couldnt get a follow up story on the TV??

Think about it a kid aged 10 does X for fish, now a few years later the same kid is still doing shite for fish, there is a follow story in it. The TV would be happy to stick you on again to fill a gap if you have something worth talking about.

Get on again and it becomes easier to do it another time, and so on. This is called networking and raising your profile, its kind of how people get famous.....

So at the moment your age is on your side, but you need to wake up and stop being a idiot. Either take the site seriously and work on it or let us all go home and stop wasting our time.

38. CarpCharacin

So should I try to get a followup story?

39. Professor_fish

Did you read what i put?

How did you reach the conclusion i was telling you to get a follow up at the moment?

Sometimes i dont know if your so thick you appear clever or if your so clever you appear thick:confused:

No, not at the moment because you dont have anything to follow up on. Get the site going and get some good content on then use the follow up to promote it.

Think about doing small articles for local newspapers etc, build enough of a profile and a decent site and i can see you making money. If you start popping up on TV or get well known locally, people will pay good money to advertise etc or be endorsed by you.
    You wont do it on your own though, people would exploit you quickly so you would need your parents looking out for you. But you have a couple of years where you could build a profile, you wrote to Obama and Trump is big news all over the world.

Write to trump and point out OBAMA only replied and didnt do jack for goldfish. You never know he might reply, if he does you have something you can follow up on ;). I am sure your fellow admin can advise on this better than me, i am not in the states and things work a bit different in the UK, but kid stories sell the world over..........

40. CarpCharacin

Trump isn't officially president until January.