Ph wild on cycling tank

sidfish

Neon tetra
Reaction score
40 gallon
Gravel
Small driftwood innoculated from other tank.
2 fake plants
3 Gaint Danios
Aqua Clear 70 with foam, carbon, bio bits.
Penquin Bio Wheel for future use with hospital tank.
150 w heater at 82 degrees
Sponge filter already inoculated with bacteria from LYS

Dosed with Nutrafin Cycle for 7 days as directed by LYS owner with 30 yrs experience
Ammonia Highest 50ppm and did water change 50 % Day 1 and Day 2

Ammonia and Nitrites have been 0 since Day 11 with only high Nitrate 40ppm on Day 7 and I did a 50% water change. Nitrates have been stable since at 5 to 10ppm.

****** Now Day 14 and the only discrepancy is the up and down Ph's ranging from 6 to 7.6 Why? Yesterday ph7.6 .....today ph 6.4.
Should I do a small water change maybe 1-2 5gal buckets or modify with bicarbonate soda. ( I'm very care with this method, as I've seen Ph's shoot to the moon! )

Attachments

sidfish

Neon tetra
Reaction score
Recent test..... we have a new municipal well being added to the water system. I suppose I should keep testing? Also and Nutrafin Test Kit

Tap water
KH 8 drops 80mgL
GH 4 drops 80mgL slightly hard

Last edited:

sidfish

Neon tetra
Reaction score
I just received these stats from the municipality. Their 56.4 is quite different from my 80
I also asked about the 2 different ph's might they be low range/high range and received this excellent response!

"2 readings are taken and the average used to minimize instrument limitations regarding accuracy and precision."

So that would make my tap ph in the 7.5 range. Good to know.

sidfish

Neon tetra
Reaction score
I learned something very important this afternoon.... was testing fish store water for ph before adding new Cory's to my 20 gal. and I got and outrageous colour! Don't freak out... test again. 2nd time normal and I suspect that my tubes were not impeccably clean from last use.
So now I am soaking them in water between uses.

sidfish

Neon tetra
Reaction score
Add some baking soda and try to raise the KH to around 100-200 PPM
Again I'm going to re test for accuracy, perhaps I've been sweating over nothing. Regardless I will watch the KH and get it into range. Thank you CarpCharacin.